Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Vegetable and ribs

A friend was making and selling these Hakka vegetable buns (chai bao), so we ordered and collected them on a Sunday. RM20 for 10 buns and we gave 1 pack to my dad who loves his Hakka chai bao. We took the other pack of 10 home to enjoy with our dinner.



Pretty hard to find good Hakka chai bun in Kuching, but one could easily get nice chai kueh. Almost similar ingredients to its cousin chai kueh, this friend's chai bao was nice. Peppery with crunchy jijima, ear wood, long beans, carrot and beancurd; the bun was very tender. Not too big neither too small; just nice to enjoy when you do not feel like having any meat meal.


Hubby took 2 of these buns with dishes that I cooked that evening.  No rice for him. The star of the dinner was my sweet & sticky ribs! 


The recipe was inspired by this blog. Easy to make recipe, which suited me well.


Sweet & Sticky Ribs

Ingredients:
Ribs, cleaned and pat dry with kitchen paper towel
2 tbsp cooking  oil
4 slices ginger
1 tbsp Shao xing wine
2 tbsp Light soy sauce
3 Chinese black vinegar
4 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp water

Methods:
1. Pre-heat a wok till smoke lightly  Add in cooking oil, and then ginger over medium heat. Fry for about a minute. Add in ribs, turn up the heat brown the rib on both sides.
2. Turn down the heat, add in shao xing wine, light soy sauce, black vinegar, sugar and water, and mix all well.  Turn up the heat  to bring to boil.
3. Once boiling, cover the wok and reduce the heat too low.  Simmer for about 25 minutes.  Make sure the liquid is not drying out. If so, add little water.
4. Once  in a while, stir and mix the ribs well with the sauce. Serve  immediately.

9 comments:

suituapui said...

For a while, I thought you made those paos, so beautiful...not like the ones I had today - blogpost on those coming soon!!!

Angie's Recipes said...

Those sweet sticky ribs are so very tempting! Your friends made some great steamed buns.

PH said...

The buns as well as your sticky ribs are so tempting!

The Yum List said...

I think I would love those buns. Vegetables and carbs - two of my great loves.

Libby said...

I love to eat those chai baos when they are juicy and peppery with crunchy ingredients like what you bought and had. Yums!

Twilight Man said...

I have eaten Hakka Chai Bao which was commonly sold at Pasar Malams here. Very delicious and healthy! Now I miss them.

mun said...

Wow! Your sweet and sticky ribs dish is the winner! My spouse would love it very much! The vege baos are very suitable for vegans. Yummy! 😋😋😋

Nancy Chan said...

Beautiful chai bao. I love chai kueh too. Sticky pork ribs look nice. I want to try out this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer Davison said...


I can't believe that this man is so real, how can I thank you enough, I can't fail to testify about the good things you have been doing for me and now you still went ahead and do same for my friend, please everyone if you have anything disturbing you please your solution is hear with Dr.osupalagba the great spiritualist who can solve any problem in a twinkle of an eye. No matter the problems, whether spiritual problem, you want to get your ex back, promotion in your workplace, spiritual cleansing, fruit of the womb, mental illnesses, protection for gun, protection for cutlass, protection for bottle, protection for snake and scorpion bites and cure. Are you a victim of any of the above listed setbacks, you can contact Dr.osupalagbavia Email: osupalagba.temple@gmail.com


Call/WhatsApp +2347051667586