Friday, July 9, 2021

Cockles

My first attempt with cockles last month. Thanks to hubby who bought half kg from a friend. 

How do you like your cockles? Half cooked? Fully cooked? I knew a friend who likes half cooked, bloody cockles and dipped with dark soy sauce. I prefer it cooked. Not overly done as it would not be nice. Just 3 minutes blanched with hot water would do. 


So my first cooking with cockles ended up with this recipe. I used up whatever I could find at home, as I seldom venture out lately. Busy with kids' online classes and homeworks, so I cook most of the times on weekdays.


 Ingredients:

Cockles

1 lemongrass stalk, chopped

2 dried chillies, sliced

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tsp belacan

Dash of light soy sauce

1/2 tsp sugar

Spring onion, for garnish

Cooking oil


Methods:

1. Rinse cockles few times and then soak in salt water for at least an hour. After that, blanched with hot water for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. In a pan, heat up about 2 tbsp cooking oil. Add in garlic, lemongrass and chilli once the pan is heated up. Saute till fragrant before add in belacan. Saute for few seconds till fragrant then add in cockles. Stir fried for few seconds.

3. Season with light soy sauce, and sugar. Mix well and dish out. Garnish with sliced spring onion. Serve warm. 

8 comments:

suituapui said...

I miss this so much. Not so sure how to prepare, much wash till very clean, right? Gotta soak in salt water or not?

suituapui said...

Ah yes!!! You did mention that. Maybe I can give it a try one of these days...when it is safe to go to the central market. I miss eating the udang galah/bighead prawns too.

Angie's Recipes said...

Yummy! My mom usually makes a stirfry with ginger and spring onion...sometimes she would make a soup with it.

Libby said...

I like my cockles half cooked.

mun said...

I seldom or rather have not eaten cockles as a standalone main dish. I have only eaten cockles in char kway teow. I am with you on this. I need the cockles to be fully just cooked. Your dish looks appetising with lemon grass. Did the children eat this dish as well?

PH said...

I very seldom eat cockles and only eat them when they are in char koay teow. Half cooked is nicer but can be risky in terms of safety.

The Yum List said...

I am a bit cautious when cooking shellfish - definitely more to the fully cooked side for me.

Jennifer Davison said...


I can't believe that this man is so real, how can I thank you enough, I can't fail to testify about the good things you have been doing for me and now you still went ahead and do same for my friend, please everyone if you have anything disturbing you please your solution is hear with Dr.osupalagba the great spiritualist who can solve any problem in a twinkle of an eye. No matter the problems, whether spiritual problem, you want to get your ex back, promotion in your workplace, spiritual cleansing, fruit of the womb, mental illnesses, protection for gun, protection for cutlass, protection for bottle, protection for snake and scorpion bites and cure. Are you a victim of any of the above listed setbacks, you can contact Dr.osupalagbavia Email: osupalagba.temple@gmail.com


Call/WhatsApp +2347051667586