Friday, June 3, 2022

Big dumpling

Today is the Dumpling Festival (or Dragon Boat Festival), so it is a customary to enjoy few Chinese meat dumplings at home. 

When we were having breakfast in this food court last Sunday, we bought 3 Nyonya Chang (vegetarian) to try. 


RM5 each. We bought 3 to try. I tasted one that evening. The fake meat was rather like real meat. Tasted like authentic Nyonya Chang but milder in taste to me. Overall, it was nice but not something I would enjoy as a chang.


That very same day, after our church service, we went to this coffee shop for lunch. The shop operator was kind to give us this big Foochow chang. No, he didnt make or buy it; rather a Foochow friend of both him and hubby gave that morning.  So, he gave one to us to try.


Since we had vegetarian Nyonya changs, I kept it in the freezer and we decided to have the dumpling on Tuesday.




As it was big, I peel off the outer wrapper and place the meat dumpling in a plae before steam it.  In middle of the streaming process, I broke the meat to make sure it was cooked well inside.  


Few chunky meat, lots of groundnuts and 1 salted egg yolk in the dumpling.  Not too salty; I rather enjoyed it. I ate mostly the glutinous rice with groundnuts and egg yolk; not so crazy about the meat chunk.  I prefer minced or smaller biteable meat in my chang.

2 bak changs that I have tasted for the Dragon Boat Festival this year.  As age is catching up, my stomach isn't doing well.  Easily have discomfort and gastric if I am not careful with certain food and drinks.  I actually had gastric on Monday evening and even yesterday morning, my tummy wasn't fully recovered after I took medication.  So, I did not dare to eat too much chang.  

How about you?? Have you have your bak chang yet???

Happy Dragon Boat Festival to you!! 

7 comments:

suituapui said...

Wishing the same to you and your loved ones!
Vegetarian nyonya chang? I sure would love to try that. And Foochow chang too!!! Never heard of any from the Foochows, usually Hokkien, Hakka, Cantonese.

Angie's Recipes said...

i still love mine with pork and chestnuts :-))

Reanaclaire said...

Nice price too, over here, the bah chang has increased tremendously, it is not surprising to pay RM10 for one gaint one... hahaha...

mun said...

祝你们端午安康!I didn't eat any savoury bak Chang recently. Just ate two kan sui zong with red bean fillings.

Nux V said...

Happy Dragon Boat Festival to you too!

Nancy Chan said...

I love bak chang and have been eating bak chang quite regularly throughout the year. Nowadays no need to wait for festival time to enjoy bak chang. But it is getting more expensive to enjoy a nice tasty bak chang. I too need to wait my diet and not eat too much bak chang.

The Yum List said...

Oh I really love that glutinous rice and though dumplings.