Wednesday, February 2, 2022

A family affair

Decoration in Vivacity mall

When I thought I would not be sweating in the kitchen for the reunion dinner on Monday, I was wrong. 

When hubby discussed with me on the dinner menu middle of last month, I had to stand by to receive one of the biggest challenge in my cooking life! 

8 course Chinese menu, I was to cook them but luckily I didn't have to. Because we were blessed with buying and receiving few dishes than to cook the whole course. And my mil was around to help me in the kitchen, so preparing the reunion dinner was not much of a hassle and it became a simple family affair for us on Chinese New Year eve. 


#1 Mouth watering chicken (KOU SHUI JI, 口水鸡)

Initially we were supposed to prepare this chicken but we received 2 roasted chickens from a friend few days before the eve. So we ended up with 1 of the roasted chickens on our reunion dinner table.


#2 Steamed white pomfret

We collected 3 big white pomfrets, one Rompine pineapple and a box of oranges from a friend that morning. We cooked one of the fishes.


#3 Abalone, mushrooms, carrots and broccoli stir fried

My mil helped to cook this dish.


#4 Braised pork trotter
I cooked this dish few days earlier. 


#5 Taro pork belly (Dong Po Rou) 
This pre-packed meat was bought from emart hypermarket. It was rather good. Hubby enjoyed it, so we may buy it again.  RM25 per pack. 


I just thawed and steamed it in the rice cooker, then cut into slices. 


#6 Deep fried spring rolls (ngoh hiang)
Lovely ngoh hiang from Jakar. I took out 2 and deep fried them. 


#7 Stir fried winged beans with garlic


#8 Chinese jiaozi (dumplings)


#9 Pongteh (chicken and pork)
This Nyonya dish was made by hubby's aunt who joined us for reunion dinner. She mixed chicken and pork with potatoes for her pongteh. 


Thanks, aunt for joining us, we were happy to have you on Chinese New Year eve. 

Happy Chinese New Year!!! May we all be blessed with prosperity, good health, peace and happiness throughout the year.


7 comments:

suituapui said...

8 course Chinese menu!!! Luckily your MIL was around to help. Your hubby did not chip in - he can cook very well too, right?

That dong po rou! The shop in the next lane has that, frozen...from Kuching, I think. The lady boss kept asking me to buy but I refused. Very small and not cheap.

Jakar ngor hiang is good? Haven't seen that here - will surely want to try if I see it!

Angie's Recipes said...

I am drooling, Rose :-) You did an excellent job creating all those mouthwatering dishes.

Nancy Chan said...

You did a great job and had a wonderful 8 course reunion dinner. We also had dong po rou and ngoh hiang this CNY. Happy Chinese New Year to you and love ones.

mun said...

Well done! �� Good for you! All the dishes look tasty. Good Bonding with your mil too.

PH said...

So nice to have reunion dinner at home, which I prefer compared to at the restaurant. To cook 8 courses, my knees will go weak! Good thing you did not have to cook all 8.

Nux V said...

wow, that's a feast with lotsa dishes! Happy CNY to u and family!

Twilight Man said...

Wow! You guys had a big feast with 8 dishes. They looked yummy and delicious to me. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and family.