Friday, June 12, 2020

Upon request

It was the eve of Gawai day. A staff of hubby called to inform that she was sending lemang over. A Bidayuh covert to Muslim, she made lemang for Hari Raya and Gawai, and gave away some to us as a thank you gift. 

We ate few for supper that evening and the next day, upon request from my man, I cooked chicken curry to go with the lemang. 

So generous of her to give us 2 long bamboo sticks of lemang. The bamboos were still warm, as she cooked them that very afternoon. 

We opened up one bamboo immediately, while the other bamboo stick of lemang, we gave to my parents the next day. We definitely could not finish both by ourselves!!


Very fragrant and tasty. After took 2 or 3 pieces of it, I was bloated. Cannot take many, my tummy cannot hold up.


I started to sharpen my curry cooking skill during MCO. Hubby gave a big thumb up while Jan also started to taste and enjoy my curry. My curry was mildly spicy so everyone could enjoy it. 


I didn't have potatoes at home so I omit that. I like long beans in my curry too, I did add long beans in one of my recent cooking.

Ingredients:
Half kg of chopped chicken
Adabi curry powder
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, sliced
1 cup water
1 tsp salt or to taste
3 - 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp coconut milk
Cooking oil

Methods:
1. Marinate chicken with 1 tbsp curry powder. Let it marinate at least for 1 hour under room temperature.

2. In a wok, add some cooking oil. Once heated up, add in garlic and shallots. Once fragrant, add in about 2 tbsp curry powder. Saute till fragrant.

3. Add in chicken pieces. Let it cook for few minutes before add in the water. Let it simmer before add in salt, sugar and dark soy sauce.

4. Lower the heat, cover with lid and let it simmer till chicken is thoroughly cooked.

5. Taste the curry gravy and adjust seasoning accordingly.

6. Pour in the coconut milk and let it cook for a minute before turn off the heat. 

8 comments:

Nux V said...

nice curry to go with rice! superlike!

suituapui said...

I like rendang with lemang but I dunno how to cook that.

Reanaclaire said...

No lemang for me since I retired...hahaha... last time my colleagues used to bring after hari raya... yes, goes very well with chicken curry!

mun said...

Lemang with the santan is very heavy food. Tasty curry chicken!

Ezvina said...

Dark soya sauce in curry? Maybe I should try.

The Yum List said...

Lemang is one of my favourite dishes in Malaysia.

Nancy Chan said...

We had our craving for lemang and beef rendang fixed during the Hari Raya celebration. Lemang with chicken curry also taste good.

Libby said...

Lemang sure is very filling. I dont mind long beans in my curry but i must hv potatoes my fav. I will like your curry as i cannot eat too spicy.