Sunday, April 12, 2020

Assemble

My cooking adventure was getting more exciting and challenging during the long lockdown. And I have been a tad bold to try cooking something that I have never did before.

When there was a craving, there was a way, I believed. It happened that I missed our Sarawak laksa one day and no good laksa sold near my area. So, better cooked it myself!!


It was my very first attempt at preparing and cooking Sarawak laksa. When my mum cooked Sarawak laksa when I was young, I loved it, and could ate few bowls. But the preparation and cooking process were lenghty, I remembered. Mum cooked it from scratch.

Now things were so much easier. I bought this ready made Sarawak laksa paste from a minimart.


Easy step by step instruction.

More surprisingly was it was made in Johor!


Inside the box was the paste pack. 

How the paste looked like.


After cooking, the laksa broth was like this. 


Before cooking the laksa broth, I prepared all the necessary ingredients first. A lot of work but it worth all the sweat. All you can take and eat home-cooked Sarawak laksa. 


Ingredients:

150g fine rice vermicelli
2 eggs
100 to 120g peeled prawns
Breast meat, boiled and shredded
Beansprouts
1 pack of Sarawak laksa paste
Water
Lime
Cooking oil to fry omelette


Methods:
1. Prepare the vermicelli. Blanched in boiled water for 10 minutes. Drain.
2. Beansprouts, blanched for 30 seconds in boiled water. 
3. Cook the breast meat in boiled water. Drain and when cool down, shredded the meat. I used my fingers to do so. 
4. Beat 2 eggs in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and stir. 
5. In heated oil in a pan, pour the beaten egg in it. Fry a thin omelette. Dish out and when cool down, cut the omelette in shreds. 
6. Cook Sarawak laksa broth. Cook 700ml water in a pot. Once boil, add in the laksa paste. Cook for 8 minutes then add in 200ml coconut milk and some salt to taste. 
7. Assemble!! In a bowl, add in the vermicelli.  Add the other ingredients along on top of the vermicelli. Then pour some Sarawak laksa broth onto the vermicelli. Served with belacan and lime. 


Dig in and enjoy.  Not bad for my first cooking of Sarawak laksa at home.


I still have a pack and definitely will find a day to cook it again. With the extended 14 days of MCO till 28th this month, I have too much time on my hands. More cooking adventure waiting for me. :) 

15 comments:

Twilight Man said...

Now I am craving to cook this Sarawak Laksa at home. It would be great if the ready mix paste comes with all the rice vermicelli, prawns, beans sprout, lime and belacan! Lolol

Does it taste really close to your mum's??

Rose world said...

Of course mum's is better. She cooked from scratch while this is ready pack. Not too bad, I can say. Good for those who craving and want to cook at home.

mun said...

Wow, sarawak laksa paste made in Johor also taste authentic? who would have thought Johor can manufacture authentic sarawak laksa paste. Good for you for having the patience to prepare all the ingredients for this bowl. So delicious!

suituapui said...

Laksa paste made in Johore? Gee!!! As far as I know, many Kuching people do not know how to cook Sarawak laksa because they can go out and enjoy it anytime, many good ones around...not like in Sibu.

Nancy Chan said...

Looking at your laksa photos makes me crave for laksa too. I don't know whether we have Sarawak laksa paste here in Ipoh. Will keep my eyes open for it. Happy Easter.

The Happy Whisk said...

Wonderful. Here's to more Foodie Adventures!

Nux V said...

I m craving for a bowl now!!

Ezvina said...

Nice, I also never try to cook laksa before. Because it was so easy to find good laksa in Kuching. But now how? And I don't have any laksa paste also, huwaa.

PH said...

So nice! I haven't seen Sarawak laksa paste over here. Maybe I don't know where to find. Maybe can get online.

Diana Diane Teo said...

My family and I hardly eat outside cause my mom cooks the best Sarawak laksa, but by using the ready pack paste. Like you said, really plenty of works need to be done like boiling the chicken and then shredded the chicken, boiled prawn, fried egg and many more. Really salute all mothers like you, which have the patience and determination just to cook one delicious dish.

Reanaclaire said...

Oh, I never seen such packaging of laksa curry before.. Looks good, Rose.. enjoy!

Libby said...

Kudos to you for making the effort to prepare all the ingredients. The broth looks so good that i want to have a sip too.

Sakuranko said...

Oh very great recipe darling
Thanks for share all the process with us

Iwona said...

Interesting recipe :)

Sharon D. said...

We need all the help we can get. This looks like the real deal! xx Also making my mouth water..haha!