Monday, May 6, 2019

Finally, I did it!

One day my hubby was commenting that I have never cooked chicken curry for him. The creamy chicken curry that we could easily find and enjoy outside.

We are blessed to live in Malaysia where we could enjoy different kinds of curry, from Malay curry, Nyonya curry, Indian curry to Japanese and Chinese curry. 

Now back to my hubby's comment, I don't cook curry at home. Other than my dry chicken curry, I hardly cook curry at home. So after been challenged by my man, I decided to cook chicken curry. 

I don't like those lengthy recipe with many ingredients for my first time curry attempt, so I went for the easy method. 

Surprisingly, it turned out good and my man was impressed and happy with it that he asked to have this chicken curry included in my monthly dinner menu! So, a thumb up from him. Yes, my home cooked chicken curry. Finally, I did it!!


I used this curry powder. And kampung chicken for leaner meat.


Ingredients:
400g kampung chicken, chopped in biteable pieces
3 small potatoes, cut in wedges
1/2 big onion, sliced
5 tbsp curry powder
100ml coconut milk
3 tbsp cooking oil
3 cups water (or more, if prefer)
Salt to taste

Methods:
1. In a pot, heat up the cooking oil. Add in onion and let it saute till fragrant and soften. Add in curry powder and stir fry till mix well and fragrant.
2. Add in chicken pieces and cook for a minute or so before add in potatoes and water.
3. Let the water boil, the lower the heat and cover with the lid and let it simmer for 30 minutes or till chicken is cooked and tender.
4. Add in coconut milk and salt to taste. Let it cook for another 5 minutes before off the fire. Serve warm.


Simple right?? I told you so! 

11 comments:

Merryn said...

I used to not cook curry at home too because it is so easily available outside but since I got my pressure cooker, I start to cook curry ourselves and it is so satisfying.

Your curry looks good. No wonder John is loving it

suituapui said...

My late mum's favourite curry powder but she would use a lot of ingredients - too much work. You must try A1 Mountain Globe - for meat...or seafood:
https://suituapui.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/one-of-the-three/
We never cook curry from scratch after we came across this brand and all my cousins overseas will cart a lot home to keep and cook curry. The seafood one can put the very famous Sheraton curry fish head to shame, take my word for it! Sure your man will love you even more!!! LOL!!!

suituapui said...

This one's for meat:
https://suituapui.wordpress.com/2017/07/30/everybodys-favourite/

PH said...

Good for you! Your recipe is not complicated and turned out well. I must cook some curry too!

Nancy Chan said...

I hardly cook curry chicken at home. Usually eat out. Yesterday morning, I bought wet curry paste to cook curry chicken at home. I am also going for the simple recipe. Lol!

mun said...

yay! looks so tasty with the potatoes in it.

lina said...

Looks good!

Reanaclaire said...

I cook curry chicken quite often here in Aberdeen... cold weather ma.. hahaha.. can eat with noodles, rice, frozen roti canai... I bought over these paste from Tean, they are very tasty too... even Hokkien prawn paste I brought over.. hahaa... miss Malaysian food lots!

Nux V said...

I had curry chicken for dinner yesterday....and yes it was home-cooked version and looked similar as yours!

Libby said...

Curry chicken is my all time favourite and yours looks so yummy.

Twilight Man said...

I cooked curry chicken many times from one famous brand that is only sold inside their restaurant. You know what? It is so delicious that even Sultan of Brunei ate them.