Tuesday, September 7, 2021

No Merdeka for me

On 31 August, hubby and I went for our morning walk. We walked all the way to this coffee shop to buy our breakfast and then we walked back.

After our breakfast, both of us went to Emart Hypermarket Batu Kawa for our grocery shopping. It was not yet 9am but the place was pretty packed. Public holiday I guess and everyone was as early birds as we were. Anyway, we spent about an hour there, bought the necessary.

As for lunch, I decided to cook since we didn't know what to buy or eat for lunch. Hubby caught a big mackerel with 2 roes in it a week ago so I took out a pack of mackerel slices and its roes early in the morning, waiting for them to defrost. And we bought this preserved mustard pork belly from Emart non-halal section for RM19+.


It was simple to prepare. Just boil a pot of water, toss the whole pack in (everything intact), close the pot lid and let the water boil for 20 minutes. Take out from water, open up the pack and place onto a serving plate.
Mui Choy pork belly, not bad. Salty and fragrant. Those that love the fatty part of pork belly slices would like this. 


The other dishes that I cooked were fried mackerels, fried mackerel roe, steamed egg custard with preserved radish topping and 2 vegetable dishes. Quite a lot of work in the kitchen, not much of a Merdeka Day for me. But the end result is always satisfying. Family enjoys what I cook and we can eat at the comfort of our home. Definitely worth all the sweat.







This was how we spent and what we had on National Day this year. Last year, we went for a short outing to a dam and had lunch in a food court. Read my entry over here.

8 comments:

Twilight Man said...

What a healthy morning walk to buy breakfast and carry them back to eat.

It is always safer to eat and enjoy your cooking at home. Next year the Merdeka should be hopefully more exciting fir everyone.

suituapui said...

I would prefer going in the afternoon, on a hot day...not so many people or a bit later, around 11.00, most housewives would have gone home to cook.

Haven't had a mackerel for a long time, maybe I'll buy one this Friday.

Angie's Recipes said...

Mui Choy pork belly is one of my favourite dishes and fried mackerels and roes are absolutely my thing :-)) Wish I could taste some.

Nux V said...

this year i mostly spent the 'public holidays' at home. Didn't go out for quite some time already. Homecooked food is always better than eating out coz it is cleaner/safer and up to your tastebud!

Nancy Chan said...

I usually wait till the peak time is over before I go the supermarket to avoid the queue and crowd. If possible, I will buy from roadside stalls early in the morning before the others are up and about. I like mui choy pork belly too but I will discard the fatty part. Fresh fish is expensive and not easy to get too.

mun said...

I prefer your mackerel fish and roe than the fatty mui choy dish. Wah, didn't know people are still ok to go out until can be packed. Nowadays I just stay at home quietly the majority of the time.

Libby said...

Delicious homecooked food. I am eyeing the fried fish and mui choy pork belly. I can eat two plates of rice with these dishes. Hee hee. I saw fireworks at MBS during our national day public holiday this year.

Jennifer Davison said...


I can't believe that this man is so real, how can I thank you enough, I can't fail to testify about the good things you have been doing for me and now you still went ahead and do same for my friend, please everyone if you have anything disturbing you please your solution is hear with Dr.osupalagba the great spiritualist who can solve any problem in a twinkle of an eye. No matter the problems, whether spiritual problem, you want to get your ex back, promotion in your workplace, spiritual cleansing, fruit of the womb, mental illnesses, protection for gun, protection for cutlass, protection for bottle, protection for snake and scorpion bites and cure. Are you a victim of any of the above listed setbacks, you can contact Dr.osupalagbavia Email: osupalagba.temple@gmail.com


Call/WhatsApp +2347051667586