Tuesday, June 1, 2021

When I saw (ayam pansuh)

My brother sent this photo to me last Thursday. He has been working at home for past week, so he has time to order food and help my mum around the house.


Ayam pansuh and ikan asam pedas from Telang Usan hotel to add to their dishes for lunch. Around RM49 for both, but discounted RM7 from FoodPanda. Both looked good from the photo. My brother commented the fish was nice and creamy, with thick, fresh fillets. The pansuh was nice but not that salty according to my bro's tastebuds. 

When I saw his photo, I had sudden craving for Dayak cuisine especially pansuh. The last time I had pansuh was last Christmas at my Bidayuh cousin's house. She served her homecooked babi pansuh that afternoon.
 
And coincidentally, I saw this post by Kuching Food Heaven (KFH) on a small home-based Dayak food delivery in FB. Somehow, the pansuh was calling to me that day! Thanks to my bro and this FB post!  Lol!

Actually I saw this post for few days but never thought of giving it a try till last Thursday.  So I Whatsapp the operator in the evening, and after a while, I decided to order these food from her for the next day. A day before Sarawak government implemented MCO in the state for 2 weeks.

On Friday morning, I brought my girl to nearby Klinik Kesihatan for her tetanus jab. Supposed to be done in school but due to schools closing, interested students are to go to selected Klinik Kesihatan to take the injection. Luckily our nearby clinic was chosen, so it was convenient to send her over around 8am. At the same time, I collected Jamie's medication from the pharmacy. It was fortunate that the clinic has a special spot for the students from her school to take the jab so less than 10 minutes, Jan was done!! 

Back to my food order, it was around 1130am that I met her outside my guarded residence to take and pay for the food. Supposed to meet at McD's parking but due to BTS promotion, we were concerned on the jam and crowds. A friendly young mum with her young daughter delivered our lunch. She was very courteous, whatsapp me on the taste and preference. 

We had Dayak cuisine for lunch, which consisted of Nasi Ubi Tutok with babui goreng and salted egg (RM8), Nasi hitam with ayam pansuh and salted egg (RM8), and 1 pack of ayam pansuh for RM5. Delivery charges of RM2, so total was RM23, which was reasonable to me.

My understanding was that Nasi Ubi Tutok was rice cooked with tapioca leaves where they grind with mortar and pestle. A Bidayuh dish, which I tasted for the first time last Christmas and I loved it! Tastier and more fragrant.  

This nasi ubi tutok was nice (not as tasty as my cousin's cooking), accompanied by flavourful with tasty fried pork belly (babui), fried anchovies, sambal dipping, and a fried egg. Jan had it for her lunch. 



On the other hand, I had nasi hitam, chicken pansuh and salted egg. Nasi hitam was more of a brown rice, not black at all.  The ayam pansuh packed in another plastic container. The ayam pansuh was mild in taste, slightly sweet and not too salty. I heated up and add some salt to the soup for dinner in the evening. 
 

For this order, I had 2 packs of pansuh. One to go with the nasi hitam, while another was without rice. I kept 1 pack of ayam pansuh in freezer for future consumption. 



 I don't mind ordering from her again when I feel like having pansuh. It is 1st day of Gawai today in Sarawak so her kitchen and delivery business are close for time being. She may not be sending the food herself due to MCO, instead she may get runners to do it, according to her.  Wish her all the best in her home-based business. 


Wishing all my Dayak friends and family "Selamat Hari Gawai, Gayu Guru Gerai Nyamai"

13 comments:

suituapui said...

We have Mak Borneo here now, a spin-off from the very nice Anak Borneo last time. Been wanting to go and tapao but right now is not a good time to go anywhere. 3 cases in my lane two days ago, another 3 cases yesterday...and the problem is we dunno who or which house. #staysafe #stayhome so just stay indoors!!!

mun said...

Wow! The price is so good. Not salty is good for me. I won't be adding salt to the dishes. I wonder what fish your brother got in his Assam pedas. Sounds so tasty the description. All the food you bought looks so tasty, especially the rice with greens bits in them, what are those green pieces in the rice? The brown red rice looks so healthy. I love these food. don't think I can ever get to taste them in kl. Hhhmmm, so tasty...

Rose world said...

The rice is Bidayuh specialty rice. The green bits are tapioca leaves.

Rose world said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nux V said...

All these dishes look nice. Hopefully i get to taste them when visit Sarawak next time!

PH said...

I tried ayam pansuh once at a buffet and I thought it was very nice.

Twilight Man said...

Selamat Hari Gawai!

It has been years I have not eaten this Ikan Asam Pedas! They go very well with many plates of plain rice for me. Yumsss!!

mun said...

Thanks Rowena for your reply. I am sure the bidayuh specialty rice with pieces of tapioca leaves in it is very tasty!

Nancy Chan said...

I am sure the dishes are very tasty and appetizing. Have a great week.

Diana Diane Teo said...

I tried ayam pansuh once before but I can't recall the taste. If I have the chance to go back Kuching again, I would love to order from this young mum.

Reanaclaire said...

So nice that in East Malaysia, you can try different types of food by different races. I would love to try all their food too, something different from our normal chinese food...

Libby said...

I have not tried ayam pansuh, sounds and looks tasty to me. I think I will also like the Bidayuh specialty rice with tapioca leaves. Something different.

Jennifer Davison said...

I can't believe that this man is so real, how can I thank you enough, I can't fail to testify about the good things you have been doing for me and now you still went ahead and do same for my friend, please everyone if you have anything disturbing you please your solution is hear with Dr.osupalagba the great spiritualist who can solve any problem in a twinkle of an eye. No matter the problems, whether spiritual problem, you want to get your ex back, promotion in your workplace, spiritual cleansing, fruit of the womb, mental illnesses, protection for gun, protection for cutlass, protection for bottle, protection for snake and scorpion bites and cure. Are you a victim of any of the above listed setbacks, you can contact Dr.osupalagbavia Email: osupalagba.temple@gmail.com


Call/WhatsApp +2347051667586