How many of you have watched the Korean TV series, Squid Game?? No, I haven't watched it yet although I heard that season 2 is in production. There wasn't any squids in the series, unlike the name indicated but I do have some real squids in my freezer!!
I have 2 packs of frozen squids, big size that hubby bought for his fishing trip. Since he would not be using them soon, I took out 1 pack last week and cooked the squids. I liked it coated and fried but mostly I prefer the curry version. I used Abadi brand of fish curry powder for my curried squid.
Super simple recipe, but the cleaning may be a hassle. However, when there is a will, there is a way.
6 big sized squids, cleaned and cut into rings
1 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp fish curry powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, sliced
1 lemon grass stalk, white part only, sliced
1 big onion, sliced
Salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
Dashes of dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1. Coated the cut squids in cornflour, mix well and put aside.
2. In a hot pan, heat up about 2 tbsp cooking oil. Stir fry the squid for about a minute. Dish out and set aside.
3. In a clean pan, heat up about 2 tbsp cooking oil. Add in the garlic, shallots, onion and lemongrass. Saute till fragrant.
4. Add in the curry powder. Saute for a while before add in the squid. Mix well.
5. Season with salt, sugar and dark soy sauce. Mix everything evenly. Can add a bit of water if too dry or you want a bit of gravy. I prefer dry version.
6. Serve with rice!