Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Half of the leg

I bought 1 big pork trotter (front leg) not long ago and it was so big that I divided it into 2 packs. I cooked black vinegar the first pack. The other half of the leg, I took out from freezer and made a braised pork leg the other day.


My recipe was simple. You could used slow cooker if you don't have time to look after the fire. I prefer to use stove fire for braising.

Marinate the leg with 5 spices, dark soy sauce and sweet soy sauce (kecap manis) before cooking for few hours.

Ingredients:

Pork trotter, chopped and cleaned 

3 garlic cloves, chopped 

1 shallot, sliced 

1 inch old ginger, sliced 

2 ear wood fungus, soaked till bigger and soften then sliced 

1 tsp sugar 

1 tsp salt 

1 cup water 

For marinade -  2 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp kecap manis, 1tsp 5-spices powder

Methods:

1. Marinate the pork trotter for few hours.

2. In a pot, add in about 2 to 3 tbsp cooking oil. Toss in garlic, ginger and shallots, saute till fragrant.

3. Add in the pork leg, sear for a while till slightly browned. 

4. Add in 1 cup of water, sugar, and ear wood fungus. Bring to boil, then lower the heat. Cover the pot and let it simmer for at least an hour.

5. Check on the pork leg, add water if dry up. Season with salt to taste. 








5 comments:

Nux V said...

we seldom cook pork leg, mostly buy the ready-made (cooked) ones from supermarkets. LOL, we have no patience to slow boil the pork leg....

Angie's Recipes said...

One of my favourite part of pig :-))

suituapui said...

Ooooo...pork leg!!! Gotta buy one soon. Yes, I heard the front leg is better, more meat, more tender.

mun said...

Wow! You sure are very diligent to cook these delicious dishes. We can only buy them. I heard it is quite tedious to clean the skin of the trotters cos sometimes still got hairs sticking to the skin.

Nancy Chan said...

I love braised pork leg too. Nowadays, I usually cook it with black vinegar. I will use pressure cooker, needs only 25 mins and all is soft and tender.