Thursday, October 3, 2019

Hidden

My half sister and brother-in-law came back for a short holiday last month and I managed to catch up with them one morning over a breakfast. 

Together with my dad and Jan, we went to this Meng Kui Cafe.  A corner shop, a building behind Chong Choon Cafe. I was not familiar with this place other than the famous Chong Choon laksa. I didn't even know this cafe at all although it is well known for Heng Hua noodle. 

The shop was initially visible from the main road but they moved to the back. Now it was so well hidden at a deserted building. One would not be able to find this place if you never venture to this area. Someone like me!! Lol. 



The cafe was well air-conditioned. The wall was decorated with weaved mats; it did not have that Chinese coffee shop feel. Not many customers around, only 2 tables occupied when we were here. 

Its specialty was Heng Hua mee suah. Option of wet or dry. Sis and I had its Heng Hua mee suah in soup. The broth was sweet with a slight ginger flavour to it. Seaweed, sliced egg, peanuts, mushrooms, minced meat, sliced meat and prawns accompanied the mee suah. 


First time I had such dish. Quite nice and different to have for breakfast once in a while. 

My bil had the same but he requested for handmade noodle. I did not take photo of his food. Dad did not have any as he already ate earlier. 


My girl went for its fried meehoon. Quite a portion but she finished it in no time.

They have other local dishes such as kolo mee, tomato noodle, fried rice, pan mee and other noodle dishes. Maybe I will bring my family here on one weekend to try their other dishes.

Google here for location and direction of this hidden cafe. 

9 comments:

suituapui said...

Looks like a nice place. I saw the Henghua mee sua when I was in Kuching but I did not try. Will KIV that for my next trip to Kuching.

Iwona said...

Nice place :)

Merryn said...

That eatery must be very good to survive in such a hidden spot. I believe regular diners help it sustain.

mun said...

The heng hua mee suah looks so good. can just slurp all down without needing to chew a lot.

Nux V said...

looks quiet, unlike those kopitiam with crowds...Good place for a quiet dining!

Reanaclaire said...

For those who like quiet, then this is nice.. hopefully they can sustain their business since they are "hidden" in a way.

Nancy Chan said...

The heng hua mee suah looks delicious.

lina said...

I guess their regulars will still find the shop!
But hard for those who have no idea about it.

Libby said...

No clams in the heng hua mee sua?