Friday, May 25, 2018

Weekend Menu #90 : Salted black beans bitter gourd with pork

Weekend is here again! And I have a simple recipe to share with you.

I know, it has been a while since my last recipe post. I didn't whipped up new recipe, partly because we mostly eat out or I just cooked something simple for the family.

But last week has been a long weekend, and I took more initiative to cook at home. Kids still have some exam papers pending back then so we spent mostly at home for them to study.

Bitter gourd! Something I rarely cook at home. If I do, it would be in soup. My stuffed bitter gourd soup, good for cooling on any hot day.


Back to last weekend, I cooked this salted black beans bitter gourd with pork belly. Super appetizing with bitter and salty in one dish. This recipe is 'agak-agak' as I used whatever I could find in my fridge and freezer.


Ingredients:
1 medium-sized bitter gourd
A slab of pork belly, thinly sliced
Salted black bean, 1 tbsp, rinsed and drained
3 garlic cloves minced
1 inch ginger, sliced thinly
1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 cup water
Vegetable oil

Methods:
1. Chop and remove the middle part of bitter gourd. Soak in water added with 1 tsp salt for about 30 minutes to reduce the bitterness. Drain before cooking.
2. In a wok, add in vegetable oil and saute garlic and ginger till fragrant.
3. Add in pork belly. Let it cook for about 3 minutes before add in the bitter gourd. Saute for few minutes.
4. Add in sugar, salted black beans and water. Let it simmer till the gravy reduce and thicken. Dish out.


10 comments:

suituapui said...

I know somebody who will not eat bitter gourd. :D I love it, any which way.

shwet said...

i can't eat bitter gourd. but you make it interesting. my husband love it, i will try.

Yannie said...

My husband loves bitter gourd soup, but my children don't like, therefore I seldom cook bitter gourd.

PH said...

I like this dish very much. Last time, Lee Kum Kee used to have black bean sauce but it sort of disappeared already. So I have not been cooking this dish.

IreneC said...

I know bitter gourd is super healthy but I still cannot bring myself to eat it. My friend jokes that when I reach 50, I'll learn to like it. That's still some way off.

mun said...

I love to eat bitter gourd. Your dishes look so tasty!

Nancy Chan said...

I love bitter gourd cooked in any way! I went to check out the bitter gourd soup and hope to try it one day!

Merryn said...

Ayden and my favourite :D Yummy!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Me is no thank you to bittergourd...

Sharon D. said...

Homecooked meals are just the best! ;)