Monday, May 4, 2015

Hidden gem & around the house

Honestly speaking, I seldom venture to the old part of the city for food. The only places that I knew there were the Open Air Market for some nice hawkers' food as well as the famous Kai Joo Lane's sio pau.

So when Suituapui recommended me on trying this old coffee shop for kolo mee, I was a bit adamant at first.  Firstly, I never knew of this old coffee shop's existence.  Secondly, when I asked my parents of this coffee shop, both were cracking their heads trying to think of this coffee shop. I guess it has been ages since both been to this part of the city. 

I told hubby about this coffee shop since it is near to his office. And guess what? When his KL friends came over last month, he brought them over here!  And everyone loved it!  The KL friends fall in love with the kolo mee that they personally came back the next morning for more!

So one morning, hubby brought us here for breakfast since he needed to drop by his office for some matters.

Located right in one of the oldest places in Kuching and well hidden, it is not wonder that not many people know about it!! Once our car turned into the small alley, I felt like I were transported to another time! Back to the PAST!

This coffee shop is located just beside the old Cathay Cinema.  I remember I have been to this cinema when I were young.  But those were the days. 


Now, that how the coffee shop looks like but before that, it was very traditional coffee shop till it caught fire many years ago. It serves only kolo mee.  And true enough, it serves one of the best authentic kolo mee around!!

Delicious authentic kolo mee with slices of char siew and minced meat. RM3.00 per bowl. I requested for "ang" (char siew oil) so it was slightly sweet but I did not mind it. 

After our satisfying breakfast, we went for a ride around town before we went to a supermarket for our grocery shopping.  We did our grocery shopping every 2 weeks so we always ended with 2 shopping carts full with stuff.

Back home, I got everything put away, took me a bit of time. However this time, I did noticed that as I put my things away, my poor pantry was in desperate need of reorganising!  Oh well, must do it one of these days.
 

That evening, our dinner menu was simple.  As usual, home-cooked is the best.  Seldom go out for dinner nowadays. So when ever I can, I will whip up a simple home-cooked dinner for my family.

Deep-fried pomfret, lo ark (Hakka braised duck), stir fried sawi susu (what it is called in English?) and Dayak eggplant with anchovies soup


While preparing our dinner, I were entertained to enchanting music played by my girl. What else could I ask for while busy in the kitchen? Of course once a while, I could hear the tuneless sound coming out from the piano then I knew it must be Jay on the bench. Lol.

So that was the recap of our Saturday. Did not go out much that day as it was a very warm day. Next in my post - Sunday stay-cation near the beach!

12 comments:

Nancy Chan said...

Both the yummy kolo mee and your home cooked dishes make me very hungry. Look at the clock, time to prepare dinner. Simple dinner for 2!

Ezvina said...

I used to have breakfast at the oriental every week. now not sp often.

Princess Ribbon said...

I know the sawi is called nai pak in cantonese, or siew pak choy, but dunno wat is it called in english too.. love your homecooked meal..

Merryn said...

I dont cook on weekdays but I will try my best to cook at least once over the weekend. I'm sure it was lovely cooking being serenaded by her beautiful piano pieces.

mun said...

Nai Pak is known as extra dwarf pak choy as mentioned here:

http://www.rareseeds.com/extra-dwarf-pak-choy/

Wow! You even know how to cook duck meat! *thumbs up*

Anonymous said...

See! When it comes to food, I know where the good stuff is...even in Kuching. Hehehehe!!!! It caught fire last year, I think...or to the most, the year before, not all that long ago. Among the best kolo mee in Kuching - my favourites would be this one and the one at Green Road...but they do not serve the innards soup like Kim Joo, Carpenter Street...or Noodle Descendants in Padungan.

Anonymous said...

Muahahahahaha!!!! Jay is so cute! I can imagine him on the piano. Kids, so lovable - the best time of their lives. When they grow up, not so much fun anymore.

trishie said...

Your homecooked meal reminds me of home. Your Saturday sounds really lovely

Sharon D. said...

I love visiting old places! What a lovely meal, Rose. You never fail to make me drool. ^.^

Agnes CF Lee said...

Never been to Kuching but heard of the good food and they are cheaper than KK. If I go to Kuching, I will definitely look for Kuching Laksa.

Small Kucing said...

she so rajin practice leh. Lucky you la got entertained by her music

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Usually i will write down what i want to buy in supermarket, then did it once a week...