Saturday, September 5, 2020

Savoury taste

 Not everyone would enjoy such food as it is an acquired taste and everyone has their own preferred taste. When it comes to Kuchingites, who doesn't know what is belacan mee hoon and sotong kangkong?


On one Sunday afternoon, hubby brought me to ABC Food Centre (behind Kingwood Hotel) for a late lunch.


I used to eat here when they had a nice curry noodle but that was ages ago. This was my first visit after so many years have passed.


Hubby recommended the belacan mee hoon here, so I went for the normal portion (RM5) which hubby had it with a century egg (RM7) . 


From the same stall, we also ordered a small plate of rojak (RM4) and sotong kangkong (RM6). I wish I could had more rojak paste in my rojak. 


The sotong kangkong was pretty generous with the chunky sotong slices, and I mostly went for them than the blanched kangkong. 


Except rojak, all was added with chilli paste so the dishes were savoury. The belacan was flavourful but not overwhelmingly salty, and the chilli paste was spicy, made my nose runny after finished the belacan mee hoon and sotong kangkong.

Was I happy with this savoury lunch?? Yes, I enjoy them pretty much. And while we were there, we bumped into our friends. We shared a table and had a short chat before we headed home with the kids' lunch. 

7 comments:

suituapui said...

I tried belacan bihun once - I did not like it but on my last visit to Kuching, I tried again and I loved it. I guess like everything else, must know where to go for the good ones.

Libby said...

I am sure the belacan bihun and sotong kangkong taste good, just a pity that i cannot take too spicy food.

mun said...

I have eaten rojak and sotong kangkung but not belacan Mee Hoon as belacan bee Hoon is not sold here.

Nancy Chan said...

I haven't come across belacan bee hoon here. I wonder how the taste is like. Definitely would love to try if I find one.

Sharon D. said...

Omigosh .. I have never heard of belacan mee hoon! It looks so tasty. I miss food hunting. This meehoon would definitely be in my list x

Nux V said...

i have never eaten belacan meehoon before. It has pungent taste and smell? I like sotong kangkong.

PH said...

I love sotong kangkong!