Thursday, October 20, 2016

Sweet black chicken soup

I love when my family enjoys what I cook.  Who doesn't?

Soup has been a frequent dish on our table as it is simple, fast and good for everyone.  And I don't need to crack my head thinking what to cook for dinner most of the time. Anyhow, married to a Foochow man, I learn to love soups too. Never was a soup person growing up till I met and married my man.  *wink*

I experimented with many ingredients, and sometimes I got inspiration from my mum or recipe books etc. And the latest chicken soup I cooked was this simple black chicken with black bean and black dates soup. 


This soup is robust with sweetness from the black beans, black dates and wolfberries. And my children love it too.  They don't take the black chicken.  Next time I will substitute it with kampong chicken.


Black chicken with black beans and black dates soup

Ingredients:
1 black chicken, cut into smaller pieces
10 black dates
handful of black beans, soaked and rinsed few times
1 garlic clove
Few slices of ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp. wolfberries

Methods:
1. Wash all the ingredients properly.  Blanch the black chicken before tossing into slow cooker.
2. Add water in the slow cooker and add all the ingredients except wolfberries and salt and pepper.
3. Cook for 2 1/2 hours.  Turn off the heat and add in wolfberries, salt and pepper to taste.

10 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

I boiled black beans too when I was in JB... but instead of chicken, I used a slab of pork and after that, I sliced the pork and sauteed it with asparagus.. :) One dish on the table... Using kampung chicken is also nice, sweeter I think..

Nancy Chan said...

A very nutritious chicken soup for the family. I too prefer the kampung chicken to black chicken. I love to cook soup too.

Libby said...

Yummy and nutritious, I would prefer kampung chicken to black chicken, my mom loves to cook soup too, her soup is the best

Hayley said...

The Chinese memang rely alot on soup right?

My in laws are Cantonese so everyday we sure have a big pot of soup to drink ;)

suituapui said...

I know one place selling that here but Foochow style, with traditional red wine, served with mee sua. Ummm...I am not too fond of the colour. LOL!!!

mun said...

Your children is scared of the black colour of the meat, is it?

mun said...

I like to eat the black beans, black dates and chicken meat in the soup but I only drink a bit of the soup because I can't drink too much soup cos it will fill up my stomach and I can't eat other food.

Agnes CF Lee said...

can hardly find any black chicken for sale nowadays, my kids would be shock if they see black chicken, haaaahaa.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Maybe one of the day, i should try this out...

Yannie said...

This soup looks indeed good to me.