Wednesday, April 8, 2015

My pork supply & easy savoury katsu

I love shopping in Cold Storage. One of my favourite places to hunt for imported food.

Went over on Monday with Jan and Jamie. No school for Jan that day. I like going there during the weekday. Less shoppers and can browse around at slow pace.

As usual, I love to pop into their non-halal section where they have lovely pork produces and cuts.


They are having more products at this little section of the supermarket so it was rather congested in there. But I love browsing through its racks, looking through what they have on offer.


Like this pork stock cubes. I never seen any before. Must be tasty to add into our cooking but the price is attractive as well. Maybe one of these days when I brought hubby along so I could get a pack of the pork as well as the lamb stock cubes. ^^


I love this part the most. HAM!!

I have some hams at home from previous visit so I did not get any this round. But I did buy something home.

This bak kut teh pack. Will cook one of these days...

And our favourite roasted pork belly. Love its succulent, tasty meat. Around RM12.00 for this 200g chunky meat.

One evening, I made this simple savoury minced pork katsu that was inspired by my mum. My mum made simple pork cakes which was a great snack to go with chilli sauce or any preferred dipping.

Her pork cakes consist of mince pork, salted mackerel fish, spring onion, light soy sauce, egg white and cornflour; all mashed and mixed and then shaped into meat patties before deep frying them in batches.

I modified my mum's pork patties recipe and here is my version of an appetizing and savoury katsu (minced pork patties).

My pork katsu

Ingredients:
About 500g minced pork (can make 8 - 10 patties)
1 tbsp of dried prawns
Quarter of big onion, minced
1/2 tsp salt
Few dashes of Maggi seasoning
1 tsp light soy sauce
Dash of sesame oil
Dash of white pepper
1 tsp corn flour
Some egg white

Methods:
1. Mix all ingredients together. Marinate for at least 20 minutes.
2. Spoon some of the mince and shape into a ball before flatten it into a patty. Continue till all mince is used up.

I know, not proportionate and nice shape but home-cooked is like that! ^^

3. Heat up enough oil in a wok for shallow-frying. Slowly add one by one. Deep fry till golden brown.







12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooo...lovely pork patties. I love Cold Storage too. Wish there is one in Sibu too. :(

Princess Ribbon said...

Your minced pork balls look so good... Oh yes I also love the ham and deli section.. Can even eat it raw!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Me also loves the ham section...

Nancy Chan said...

My family's favourite, minced pork patties. I like your version with dried prawns. Now we seldom take salted fish.

Imemily said...

first time I see ppl added in salted mackerel fish with pork

mun said...

The food you cooked sure looks delicious! You are such a good cook! :)

Linda said...

Everything here looks so nice, Rose!

Libby said...

Cannot resist the pork patty, love the golden brown colour

Libby said...

Actually, I prefer pork than chicken in some cases, I would like to try make these pork patties one of these days

Sharon D. said...

Ooo...I'm with you on Cold Storage, Rose. Your version of pork patties look super yummy! ^.^

Small Kucing said...

Nice wor...yums....

I like Jaya grocer here. They also have quite large variety

Ezvina said...

I used to shop a lot at cold storage too, but now with barang naik harga, gst and all, I mostly go to shop that offers lower price.