Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Ayutthaya | Into the time

After floating market and elephant camp, we headed to Ayutthaya which is about 2.5 hours drive from Bangkok. Once the capital of Siam and regarded as the greatest city in Asia, it is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. 

The city was founded in 1350, and the people was advanced and powerful till in 1767 when it was destroyed by the rampaging Burmese armies.  They destroyed most parts of the city.

Wat Mahathat, these red temples speak of decadent times of yore.  The most photographed image in Ayutthaya must be the Buddha head that set within the intertwining roots of a fig tree.





the famous Buddha head

Yours truly posing at the Wat where at the back sat a Buddha statue

Most statues are headless as ruined in the past

A slightly slanted structure


The remains of the Wat

A very warm afternoon. So aren't I glad that I bought a straw hat from the floating market and ate "Ais Potong". 3 flavours to choose from; coconut, red bean and durian but guess what flavour I choose?? *wink*


12 comments:

Princess Ribbon said...

Let me guess, it's coconut flavour? Kekekeke..

cre8tone said...

Nice mysterious place!

Azura Chan said...

Mmm... coconut flavour?
Thanks for showing to us the great views. Nice one...

suituapui said...

I like red bean. If I'm not mistaken, Ayuthia's the ancient royal capital of Siam/Thailand.

Reanaclaire said...

Red bean.. can see dot dot.. :) When I went to Bangkok around May last year, it was very hot and sunny too..

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Thanks for sharing...

trishie said...

Red bean!!! Wow it has been over ten years since I've had an ice potong. Great pics!

mun said...

Red bean? The buddha head among te tree roots looks eerie. Good to see you enjoying your vacation.

wenn said...

Interesting places. I must visit them one day!

Rose world said...

A great place to visit. Indeed feel like back in time. Haha.

I like red bean ice potong. ;)

mNhL said...

Looking at those statues, it reminds me of Bali. haha

Libby said...

Red bean? Is it very hot over there right now?