Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cooking sweet leaf

Hubby brought some sweet leaf (cangkuk manis or mani chai) on Tuesday morning from Petanak wet market.  I love sweet leaf but do not eat it often because Chinese believe it is "cold vegetable".   My mum for instance cannot take too much otherwise she will feel dizzy after consuming this vegetable.

Sweet leaves are very easy to plant.  I remember when I was in my college time in Nilai, Negeri Sembilan back in 1998 a male friend planted few stems of sweet leaves in the garden of our rented house.  Every day he would put fertiliser on them.  If I told you what he puts, you would not want to eat them.  Lol!  The vegetable grows beautifully but we never eat them because when we think of what he put, we lose our appetite!  *wink*

This is how I prepared my sweet leaf. Using your thumb and index finger, tear the leaves from the steam.  I take the younger (more light green) leaves instead of those dark colour leaves.  Then wash the leaves few time in coriander and then soak them in a bowl of water of salt for few minutes.  I soaked for about 5 minutes to remove the bitter taste of the leaves.  After that rinse the leaves and using your hand, tear the leaves into smaller pieces.  They are ready to be cooked.



Ingredients:

A pack of sweet leaves (cost around RM1 - 2/ pack now)
1 tbsp of wolfberries, rinsed and soaked in water
2 eggs, beaten
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
Minced garlic and sliced shallots

Method:
  1. Heat up cooking oil in a wok.  Pour the beaten eggs into wok and quickly scramble them.  Dish up and put aside.
  2. In the same wok, add some cooking oil and once heat up, saute minced garlic and sliced shallots.  Once fragrant, add in the sweet leaves.  Stir quickly and then add the scrambled egg.  Add the wolfberries, salt and light soy sauce (to taste).
  3. Dish up and serve with rice.


7 comments:

Ezvina said...

Nice, my son love this.

Broccoli Ginger said...

I like but not my children. :)

suituapui said...

Wah!!! You add so many things...and some not in the list of ingredients even. I see chilies...and are those eggs? Looks like slices of meat...

Small Kucing said...

i love those. hard to find young leaves here

yvonne said...

Em, I don't think I come across such vegetable. Is it sweet as its name?

Rose world said...

Yvonne, yes. It is sweet as its name. I also love when it is cooked in soup with some anchovies. :p

Arthur, that is wolfberries, not chilli. Lol!

wenn said...

yes, once a while, if I see it in the market, I will get it.