Saturday, October 4, 2014

Near the river

Tuesday was the day of UPSR resit for English and Science papers so my girl did not go to school. She had a day off.

So after sent off both her brothers, I brought her to this Choon Seng coffee shop in Sg Merah Bazaar for breakfast before sending her to her Kumon class.

We seldom come here for breakfast as it is out of our way. Nothing really fancy us either. The coffee shop is near to the Sungai Merah (Red River), which believed to the the location where the earliest Chinese settlers landed in Sibu. Along the river, lied the Wong Nai Siong Memorial Park, a homage to the town's principal founder.

Ok, if you want more history or photos of this memorial park, check out this site. We have not walked there although passed the park few times in the past.

I was craving for Choon Seng's toasted buns that day so together with my girl, we braved the rain to go there. Luckily the rain has slowed down. Maybe because of the rain, we were lucky to find good parking spot and vacant table there.
Here came our butter and kaya toasted buns! Super yummy and crispy.
 I ate one portion while the rest went into my girl's tummy. Of course that would not be my breakfast only. I ordered fried kuaw tiaw (RM3.50) from the Malay stall. Not so tasty at all. Lack of taste, kuaw tiaw was not well cooked as some were hard and RM3.50 for a plate of kuaw tiaw with sunny-side egg and no other ingredient was slightly pricey. This definitely is not the best Malay food stall around the town.

However at least I got to enjoy my glass of teh-c there.





7 comments:

mun said...

Good bonding time with your daughter! :)

suituapui said...

Parking is never a problem there - Choon Seng no parking fee, a bit crowded but can park further away or at the back.

The coffee there is not nice anymore since the towkay stopped making and went to take over the egg-wrapped char kway teow stall.

The roti canai at the Malay stall is not bad, served with curry gravy. I'd usually go for the porridge from the kampua stall, very nice.

Princess Ribbon said...

The kuey teow looks dark.. I think only got black kicap taste only, haha. But I like the butter kaya buns though.. Yummzzz..

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Seeing the toasted buns makes me crave for it, hehe...

Ezvina said...

The buns looks 'special'.

Blackswan said...

So glad I don't have to study together with my son anymore........ Need my supper now though...

Sharon D. said...

The buns look super yummy. I'm feeling hungry just looking at it, Rose :P