Thursday, October 9, 2014

Exotic food isn't cooling


We dined in this restaurant on Monday evening. This restaurant called "12 Zodiac Seafood Restaurant" is next to Hai Bing Restaurant, overlooking the Rajang River Waterfront.

Initially planned to go to the more famous and established Hai Bing but the lady from 12 Zodiac was quick to promote and usher us when we walked out from the car so we decided to try this place instead. Hubby said we should give the lady the benefit of doubts and judge the food for ourselves.


Nothing extravagant about the setting of this place. Simple and old. The place is small, only can accommodate few big tables. Why the name? I do not know but I did see some Chinese zodiac stickers on the walls.

I know I had coconuts at home waiting to be chopped but I could not resist a fresh coconut over here.
I know we were going to have some exotic yet heaty food that night so a cooling coconut juice was great for me. I can easily get sick by over eating heaty food.

When I said exotic food, it did not mean some expensive imported food that we have to fork out a big sum of money. Here exotic means strange and rare food that I seldom consume.
I do not consume wild boar meat that often. Hubby was craving for wild boar meat that evening so we ordered this dish to try.

It was alright as they cooked in soy sauce and wine but I would prefer more lemongrass and ginger to go with it.

Pardon the blurring picture as I were still trying to get accustomed with my Samsung Galaxy S5. Not used to its camera function.


Next was labi-labi (softshell turtle). This was definitely an exotic dish for me. I think I only take labi-labi twice prior to have it here in the past. Not my favourite dish as I vividly remember I fell sick on both occasions after eat this meat.

Of course we ordered some dishes for the kids to eat such as this fish maw soup. Rather bland but glad it turned out to be clear soup as the chef came out to double-confirmed our order. *wink*

Next was this salted turnip omelette (chai poh egg) and stir fried water spinach (kangkong). The vegetable was rather salty.

Overall our bill came out to be RM77. And the whole night I kept drinking a lot of fluid. True enough my throat was dry. Thankfully I were alright the next day.  And everyone was kicking the blankets away that night. Too warm after the dinner. Lol!




12 comments:

Princess Ribbon said...

When I see the word exotic, I faster scroll down to see the food, haha.. I thought it's like "yeh mei" like snake meat or iguana meat or something, hehehehe..

ChrisAu said...

wow...that's yeh mei in cantonese like what princess said. Yes, since mostly they are cooked with herbs, it can be heaty but also nutritious.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves fish maw, but do not know how to cook it

Rose world said...

Very easy, Sharon. Soak the fish maw first in lukewarm water. Then cut them and cook with mixed vegetables or toss into soup.

Rose world said...

Wow! Hold on, Louiz. Those meats you mentioned were too exotic to me. Havent had those before although nearly had snake meat once. Haha. I tasted bat meat before. Once. Eeeww when think it is a bat! Lol

Hayley said...

Wild boar meat taste like boar only, hehe. But softshell turtle, I don't think I can take that also...

suituapui said...

I like wild boar but not labi labi...and wild boar, must be of good quality and cooked the way we do it in my family. No good wild boar meat - bought a few times, not nice...and not cheap so I have decided not to buy it anymore, wasting money. Just stick to beef or lamb.

I would love the last three dishes. My friend, home from Australia, went to this place for dinner - he said the food was good. Never tried myself.

Your photos are fine - very clear...and a lot clearer than some that I see in other blogs.

Thirsty, not because of too much msg?

Sharon D. said...

Wow..interesting meal, Rose. I would love to try wild boar one day ^.^

mun said...

I have only eaten wild boar's meat with curry. Don't think I dare to try it cooked any other style. The labi labi is sui yu, right?

Rose world said...

I think that is the name for labi labi.

Merryn said...

I don't think I've eaten labi labi before. Wildboar yes but not labi labi :)

Small Kucing said...

wild boar meat usually very heaty. Good to have coconut wter