Friday, September 26, 2014

Sweet & Spicy Delight

Got two packs of this Singapore's acclaimed chilli crab sauce from my Singaporean cousin when we met early this month in Kuching. Thank you so much, cousin for this yummy sauce and clothings for kids that you specially brought over.
Easy-to-cook sauce

When I read the recipe from Luxury Haven last month, I immediately whatapps my cousin to get me the sauce to try. I knew this place in Sibu serves this sauce with fried mantau as they proudly stated in their menu that they are the very 1st cafe over here to incorporate a menu of such. 

I have not try their mantou with this chilli crab dipping but I think they are nothing different from what we have in Kuching. I tasted this fried mantou with chilli crab dipping before in Kuching. If not mistaken, it was in Rock Road Seafood Restaurant. I just remember it tasted good.

So, I came up with my own mantou with seafood in chilli crab sauce. I followed recipe from Luxury Haven on how to cook the seafood delight but I only used mussels and prawns.
My seafood delight

And from a stall where I bought my fresh big prawns the other day, I was not only greeted by the friendly lady mending the stall but another regular visitor, according to the lady. 

This tiny fella always flies around the fishes and resting on them.  Okay, I got my prawns but no fishes that day.  

So, I served this dish last night. Great to go with rice or fried mantou. My fried mantau finished faster than the seafood as everyone kept dipping them with the sauce. I myself hardly ate rice last night!

The sauce was good and spicy (I did not used the Extra Hot Chilli Mix as I felt it was spicy enough).

I still have a pack left in Kuching. Maybe I will add more seafood and get my parents to try one of these days.

As for the fried mantou, just thaw and steam for 10 minutes or according to the package instruction. Let them cool down to ensure outer skins are dry before deep frying. In a deep wok or pan, heat enough oil for deep frying. Once hot, add the mantou one by one but do not overcrowd the wok or pan. Maintain the temperature of the oil to ensure crispy outside and minimal oil absorption. Dish out once golden.

Crispy outside but soft and fluffy mantou inside!


13 comments:

Princess Ribbon said...

Oohh, I love the gravy too.. Yes, I've eaten crabs with eggy gravy like this, dipped with fried/steamed mantou.. But I don't like crabs, hard to eat and very mafan, so I love your seafood platter, yummmzzz...

suituapui said...

You can buy this sauce and all the rest from Prima Taste at Delta Mall supermaket - VERY expensive, all over RM15/16...but if you convert to SIN$, it is more or less the same as in Singapore...and may even be cheaper than at some (higher class) places there.

suituapui said...

I've tried the Mee Siam - VERY nice!!!
http://suituapui.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/as-good-as-it-gets/

suituapui said...

I used the laksa paste for my sayur masak lemak/lontong. Also VERY nice:
http://suituapui.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/more-ways-than-one/

suituapui said...

The noodles are RM6-7 for ONE packet. My girl loves the fish one.

suituapui said...

Where to get that type of mantao? Frozen ones in supermarket?

Azura Chan said...

Must be delicious. Yumm... 😀

Rose world said...

Yes. I buy the frozen one from supermarket.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I always see this in the supermarket, but have not try myself before...

Hayley said...

Mmm, looks good, some more got mantau to go with it! Usually for dish like this, I eat more mantau than the curry, haha!

Sharon D. said...

Oo..sedap!!! Too delicious, Rose!

mun said...

The prawns and mussels really look delicious in the sauce. The sauce must be really tasty too for the mantou to be finished so quickly when they are used to dip in the sauce.

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Haven't tried this dish before. Hehe