Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A taste of home

When my blogger friend Suituapui posted a bowl of tasty-looking kolo mee last week, I did not hesitate to give it a try and see whether it tasted like what we have in Kuching. Of course when you think of Kuching, one of the famous specialty is kolo mee.

So after obtained the direction, together with my 2 kolo mee enthusiasts (my 2 kids), we tried out the kolo mee last Saturday.

Thank God we found a parking right next to Poppies outlet so we just need a short distance to cross the road to the kolo mee shop.
And guess what? When we were out from the car, we saw few people jumping off from the Wisma Sanyan, the tallest building in Sarawak! Wow! They were having a base jumping and I think the event is still ongoing till this weekend if I am not mistaken.

Of course my 2 kids were excited seeing the parachutes coming down from the building. By the time we finished our breakfast and drove to Wisma Sanyan, there were no more jumping to be seen.

Okay, this is the shop that sells kolo mee as well as kampua. This shop must be in existence for so many years.

It was not packed to our surprise as it was almost 9am when we were there. So our noodles came in speedy time and my 2 kids devoured their noodles in no time! 

Appearance-wise it reminded me of the red kolo mee in Kuching open air market. The kolo mee stall that is opposite to the famous open air market sio bee and soya milk stall. They are famous for that sweet char siew taste and colour. Taste-wise it did tasted a bit like the open air except this Kiaw Hin's noodle has more vinegar taste to it. 

And to my surprise, they added sliced chilli to the noodle. No wonder for the vinegar taste as the sliced chilli was dipped in vinegar. In Kuching, kolo mee always come with a seperate sliced chilli in vinegar dipping or light soy sauce dipping. But not tossing the vinegar-dipped chillies into the noodles.

We also ordered this pork liver soup and when I saw that they also had laksa, I also ordered a bowl to try.

The laksa was good and can compete with some of the good laksa in Sibu. Tasted similar to what we have in Kuching. Very generous with shredded omelette but I only got 2 small prawns in my bowl. 

To me, the kolo mee in Kiaw Hin also tasted better than any other places in Sibu that I have a chance to try. But of course cannot beat some of the great kolo mee shops in Kuching but if you ask me, Kiaw Hin reminded me of home while I am far away from home now. *wink*


12 comments:

Princess Ribbon said...

I love that bowl of pork liver soup.. I will usually order a bowl 'liew' only if I eat pork noodles..The soup in your laksa looks good too, I can slurp all...Yummzz

Sharon D. said...

Really tempting me! I wish I knew how the sauce is made and the brand they use so that I can recreate the same noodle dish over here.

Ezvina said...

wah, you really know your kolo mee.

Merryn said...

Egg omelette in laksa? Is that normal over there? We don't get egg omelette in laksa here.

Reanaclaire said...

I like to try a bit of everything shown in your post! The laksa also looks very nice...

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves pork liver soup

suituapui said...

Oh??? My chili in vinegar came in a separate small saucer not in the noodles...but I could taste the hint of vinegar in the noodles - just like Kuching kolo mee. Thought it was good. Will go back again...and try other things there.

Can park below the church (go in through entrance/road to Methodist Primary School) or at the 1 Malaysia shop - RM1 whole day, not far.

Rose world said...

We have egg, taugeh, shredded chicken and prawns in a normal Sarawak laksa. Other varieties include cockles, chicken feet, liver.

Blackswan said...

Gosh, you got me drooling again!

mun said...

Good that you found a feel of home in that bowl of kolo mee but you will be back to Kuching soon, right?

Rose world said...

Yes. In November on school holiday.

Azura Chan said...

Oh.. I'm going to find Kolo Mee after this.