Thursday, June 30, 2016

Brown & white - the layers cake

This vanilla and chocolate layer crepe is so luscious, you would ask for more slices!


Made this simple cut of mille crepe over the weekend. Simple cut here means I did not make a thousand layers. Mille means "thousand" in French so this is my simplified layers cake. I couldn't possibly call this a mille crepe.

Of course, I got my little helper to help me with the batter and layering. After all the hard work, we all deserved a nice slice of the brown & white layers of crepe.

Ingredients:
6 large eggs
3 cups full cream milk
1 cup water
2/3 cup melted butter
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbsp. castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup dark chocolate powder
Pinch of salt
200 ml whipped topping

Methods:
1. All ingredients to be at room temperature.
2. Whisk together eggs, milk and water.  Add in butter, vanilla, pinch of salt and sugar. Sift in flour.
3. Whisk until no clumps remain. Strain the batter into 2 bowls.
4. Sift cocoa powder into one bowl and whisk together.

 

5. Pre-heat an 8"pan over medium heat. Pour in some of the batter into pan; swirl until cover the whole pan.
6. Flip after a minute and continue to cook for another 30 seconds. Stack crepes and cool at room temperature.

7. Layer the crepes, spreading a thin layer of whipped cream between each layer. Chill to serve.


After it chills, the crepes looked prettier and better in taste.  *wink*



Remarks:
1. Above amount makes 10 crepes. 
2. Double quantity of eggs, sugar (except milk, which just add another cup) to make more layers.
3. Chill the cake as it tastes better.
4. Whipped cream can be substituted with chocolate syrup, or any preferred whipping topping.

13 comments:

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Thumb up to your layers cake...

suituapui said...

Not bad, not bad...keep trying. Practice makes perfect. Hey, no photo of your assistant? So good, big now...can help already.

Reanaclaire said...

Wow.. you got the patience and determination to do it.. Well done, Rose.. I am sure they are very tasty and nice too!

PH said...

Nice! Even with less layers this is still good. I am too lazy to do it hah..hah...

Ezvina said...

Nice, my crepes tak pernah jadi.

lina said...

Wah so rajin!

mun said...

I second lina - Wah, you are so diligent to make your own millicrepe. Good job!

Merryn said...

So rajin! Eventhough no thousand layers but it is good enough. You wont see me doing such thing. Haha

Blackswan said...

I've always wanted to do this but it's a lot of work. Love your simplified version, dear! xoxo

Huai Bin said...

Wow! It must be a lot of work, doing a mille crepe. You have to do it layer by layer and all that. I like how it's a lot of layer of crepes assembled together and it tastes like a cake when it's done.

Nancy Chan said...

Your crepe looks good! This round start with a few layers. Next round, you increase more layers and very soon together with your young helper, you get your mille crepe.

Hayley said...

I tried to make my own mille crepe before, looks ugly but the taste... Heavenly! Should have make more layers ya!

Sharon D. said...

Good one...and you are so patient. I'd have asked myself if a normal cake would have been easier and why was I doing this..lol