Saturday, June 25, 2016

Local fruits

Today, for the very first time, I've tasted nasi goreng dabai (black olive fried rice).  I got my fried rice from this Foochow fried stall in Ice Buddy Cafe.

 
Taste-wise, it was sweet and well-fried; enough wok hei.  The dabai made the fried rice slightly purplish and sweet but I liked the taste.  RM5.00 to satisfy my curiosity.  *wink*
 
 
In case you are wondering how "dabai"(local black olive) looks like, this is how it looks like.  I finished up my equal share of frozen dabai in my freezer when my freezer failed to work few weeks ago. All defrosted and ready to eat when my freezer was malfunction. 

 
Last night, my dad and mum fetched us for a late supper and shopping in Emart Hypermarket Batu Kawa.  As usual, they have the daily night market in the hypermarket car park so we had a look around on what the vendors were selling.  So many local produces on sale!
 
Like the local mango (above) which taste sour and great to go with belacan; and below jungle produce. Don't ask me what are they called because I am truly naïve about them.  Maybe someone would be able to shed some light to their names.
 
 
 
We also spotted bamboo shoots, midin and sweet potatoes too but I did not took any photos as busy keeping an eye on my 3 kids.  So many people walking around too so it was hard to take good photos. I did not buy anything from the night market but my parents bought home some bamboo shoots, mango and sweet potatoes.
 
I love walking at the night market.  Used to do that a lot when I were young where we went to Satok market. Prefer to walk at night as it would not be too warm; seeing those vendors and people busy negotiating prices. My favourite spot in the Satok market??  The wild animal area!! If lucky, one can see bats, wild boars and other exotic animals. Alas, those were the days.



10 comments:

PH said...

I have seen this buah dabai many times on STP's blog. I am curious about it. But can't get any here.

suituapui said...

The local mango, buah emplam. Just peel and slice, ulam with rojak sauce, very very nice. My dabai fried rice, lemak lemak with the rich oil of the fruit.

mun said...

Like PH says, I also have not seen any dabai here. Am curious how it taste like.

Nancy Chan said...

Dabai is new to me. I too like to walk and look see all the interesting things in the night or morning market.

aki! said...

I have never grown accustomed to the taste of olives! But I love me some fried rice.

7% Solution

Ezvina said...

I think thats asam mempelam, not sure the english name :)

Anonymous said...

I loved Nasi Goreng Dabai, my all time favourite dish. hehe.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Never try dabai before...

Coffee Girl said...

usually people use the fermented dabai to do the nasi goreng as the saltiness adds flavor to the nasi. BUt fresh ones are good too. :-)

Sharon D. said...

I am dying to try dabai ..will hunt it down one day. :D