Monday, February 24, 2014

Hair chat and Weekend Menu #57: Salted mustard & ginseng chicken soup

How was your weekend? I went to salon to do digital perm on Saturday. Sat there for 4 hours and yet I still think this was not what I want. I wanted a big wave curls but ended up not the curls that I want. Or maybe the stylist put too much spray and my curls look stiff and volumising my hair further. I look like that legendary Alleycat singer! Maybe after a good wash, my hair will look more natural. Can't wait to wash it tomorrow as the stylist reminded me to wash on 3rd day! But what done is done. I know, cny was over but that not the reason to style my hair. It has been more than 5 years since I curled my hair. I have decided to highlight my hair in few months time to enhance the curls.

I know I look like the pitiful exhibit plugged to a machine. Can feel my hair been toasted! All for the name of beauty! 

The result.....
My boy did not like my new hair style. Probably he never seen me with curls before so he kept complaining that it is not nice and looks messy. Lol.


Going to let my hair longer and try that half lenght perming like the Korea perm. That may have to wait end of the year at least.

Did not do much on Sunday as hubby was not around and I have to hold the fort with my 3 precious "treasure". Taught the kids on school works while Jamie took most of my time entertaining him. 

Cooked a simple chicken soup yesterday.  Long time didnt take ginseng and since I have some salted mustard in the fridge, I decided to cook salted mustard ginseng chicken soup.  Simply love the fragrant and taste of this soup, as the salty and ginseng taste like is appetizing. 

Learnt this soup recipe from my mum.  It is very simple and the ingredients are chicken, salted mustard and ginseng roots.  Nothing else.  Can add a bit of salt to the soup if you want it to be more salty but it can be omitted since the kiam chai is already salty.

Just soak and rinse the mustard, and then slice into smaller pieces. Wash and rinse the ginseng root.  Scald the chicken for few minutes to get rid of the scum.

I used slow cooker for this soup.  Just throw everything into the cooker, let it cooks for 2 to 3 hours.  Add salt to taste and 2 tbsp light soy sauce (optional) at the end of the cooking.


Result?  A flavourish soup to go with any meals.

17 comments:

Small Kucing said...

Furst few days the curls will be like this. After a few wash it will be softer looking. I kena before. Had a shock whn it too curly

wenn said...

I did my digital perm half length few months ago and I like it but I'm always lazy to apply hair mousse. So I guess my hair has gone straight.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I didn't did curls for my hairs very very very long...

Coffee Girl said...

Not bad leh the digital perm? last time i did mine, the dresser completely ruined my hair, and he blamed me for my hair being unmanageable (coz he cudnt get the perms to stick) haha. Ginseng chicken looks nice :)

Reanaclaire said...

Oh I would love to have a perm too if my hair is not that dry... mine is dry damaged hair so I dare not perm my hair.. nice to give ourselves a new hairstyle once awhile.. your son will get used to it after awhile...
Love the "char choy" soup.. my son loves to drink this.. sourish a bit.. yumsss!

suituapui said...

Now we must meet one of these days so I can see your new curly hair. Muahahahaha!!!! These days, no problem - you do not like, just go an straighten. I went for a haircut myself this morning.

Blackswan said...

Hey Rose, I like your curls! It's nice, honestly! Mmmm.... never knew salted veg & ginseng go together. I wanna try!!

mun said...

When I read your post, I thought it turned out to be those tiny curls but looking at your photo, still big curls so after a few wash, should look nice and natural.

For people who like to drink salty soup, the chicken salty mustard ginseng soup must be very tasty.

Princess Ribbon said...

Not a great weekend for me. Had fever. 38 degrees. Had to take MC yesterday, but am back to work today.. Still feeling hot and giddy, sigh.. Really no mood..
Eh, I like your perm.. Looks very bouncy and wavy.. I don't like tiny curls, and your curls are just nice.. Guess it will look more natural after a few hair wash..

ChrisAu said...

Typical weekend for me ... run errands , go church , nice dinner ..etc.Hope to take off on fri soon to spend more time with family and probably drive around.

Hayley said...

Usually the curls on the first few days are not natural right?
Have to wait after a few wash then only look more natural and prettier ;)

mNhL said...

I have always wanted to change my hair style, but I'm afraid of change ! haha...at least you has the courage to do so.

Sharon D. said...

It looks very nice, Rose. I like it! ^.^

Yee Ling said...

Normally after few days of washing, you will more natural look. Hang on there.

I did perm my hair once...so many yrs back and now I don't want to do anything except maintaining the same length.

Libby said...

After a few wash, will look better and more natural...

I love kiam cai soup with chicken

Libby said...

In my whole life, I only perm my hair once

Straight hair is more suitable for me

Ezvina said...

I'm sure your perm will look nicer after your 1st wash.