Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chap Goh Mei - steamed abalone

Eating abalone is considered a luxury among Chinese. But this delicacy is easily avalable now either in fresh form, dried form or packed in cans.

Last week I put my cooking skill to test. My very first attempt in steaming abalone. Knew that abalone is tough in texture so I steamed it for about 15 minutes. Outcome?? Not that tough although I still need to cut with some effort. At least it is edible. Lol.

Only 1 1/2 abalone in the can. I used up the 1/2 for my shark fin soup. I never enjoyed abalone so hubby was lucky to have the big share of it.



Just throw some sliced gingers on top of the abalone. Add one tbsp cooking wine to the abalone and let it steams for 15 minutes. While it steams, in a pan, heat up few tbsp cooking oil. Once the oil is smoky, add to the abalone. Drizzle 1 tbsp light soy sauce. Turn off the heat and garnish with spring onion.






7 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

wow.. Looks good just to steam like that.. I normally put it in my mushrooms dish.. yummss!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Yummy yummy...

trishie said...

Just last month I made abalone coogee with the exact same brand of tinned abalone! Cooking them for too long does make them too chewy so I only added them to the pipping hot congee and stir in just before serving. It was delicious.

PS: Your husband is one lucky man!

mun said...

Your husband must be happy to eat it. Did your children eat any?

suituapui said...

Wahhhhhh!!!! So kaya. I saw those in the supermarkets - displayed in cabinets under lock and key!

Sharon D. said...

Thanks for the simple recipe, Rose! I have never tried cooking this one ^.^

Yee Ling said...

Waahhh...looks good. Want to steal that! Haha