Friday, September 30, 2016

Yearn for authentic

This old coffee shop has been in existence for as long as it is. I only knew it was called Highland Cafe because I followed my dad here for its chicken rice once many many years ago. However when I visited it few weeks ago, I realised what is its original Chinese name. Yeong Joo.


This coffee shop is next to a Sport Toto shop, which is in vicinity of 3rd Mile old market. I were not sure why it was named Highland Cafe as it was at the slope of the road.

Anyway we never thought of checking this place out till one Sunday morning. Our initial intention was to go to Sun Li Ting Cafe. However we found a parking spot nearby so instead of going to Sun Li Ting Cafe which was farther, we decided to try this Highland Cafe for a change.


My kids could not do without kolo mee so we ordered a bowl each for them to enjoy. RM3.00 per bowl. Most coffee shops no longer serve those bamboo chopsticks but they do so here. I would prefer if they give us a cup of hot water to rinse the chopsticks with.

Kolo mee

Yours truly was eyeing the laksa stall so got herself a bowl for RM5. 

Sarawak laksa

Hub on the other hand, had a special bowl of kueh chap (RM7 without the kueh).

Kueh chap special

If you asked us, we did enjoyed the food. Everything was pretty authentic (if you get what I am trying to convey). If you yearn for authentic Kuching's signature dishes, you can try this old coffee shop. Food was nice and what important is that you could find what the old time sake's taste like. 

8 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

I love authentic food, they are much tastier than any franchise which we go to nowadays. Hope they maintain the authenticity of the food...

suituapui said...

Dunno all the names you mentioned. Laksa looks good. Kueh chap without the kueh = chap. LOL!!!

PH said...

It's good that the food here is authentic. Then can come back for more when you have the craving :)

Ezvina said...

Authentic is good, but old kopitiam must put extra on their cleanliness/maintenance.

mun said...

I would eat the kolo mee at rm3 but I would like to eat your laksa too because it looks tasty.

ChrisAu said...

THe kolo mee reallys like wantan noodles or kolo mee..hahaha

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves sarawak laksa, has been a while since i had it...

Sharon D. said...

My husband is crazy for kueh chap. He will love this makan place.
I will probably opt for kolo mee. It looks yummy.