Wednesday, December 2, 2015

This is how

I did it!! Not with duck, but I used chicken thigh for my phak lo (braised).  


It was one of those days when I missed my mum phak lo ark (Hakka braised duck), that I decided to put my hands to cook myself. I had chicken thigh in the freezer and galangal that hubby bought has been in the fridge for a week plus, so I called my mum for the step-by-step recipe. This is how she cooks it.

Hakka braised chicken is much easier to prepare so here is the recipe for you to try it out.

Phak lo chicken

Ingredients:
1 chicken thigh
Galangal (lengkuas), about size of your fist (100g)
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp Dark soy sauce
1 tsp 5-spices powder
Water enough to cover the chicken

Methods:
1. Rub the 5-spices powder all over the chicken. Leave for 30 minutes or more in fridge before cooking time.


2. Peel and crush the galangal.
3. In a wok, add about 2 tbsp cooking oil. Once heated up, add in the galangal and fry till fragrant and brown.

4. Lower the heat. Add sugar, dark soy sauce and salt into the wok. Stir fry for few seconds before add in the chicken. Stir fry for a minute.
5. Increase the heat and add in water. Once boil, lower the fire and cover the wok.
6. Let it simmer for 30 minutes or till chicken has soften. In between, turn the chicken once.


7. Take out the chicken and let it cool down before chopping into smaller pieces.
8. The gravy in the wok to be simmered till reduce.  Drain out the galangal away. Pour over the chicken or into seperate bowl for dipping.

Verdict : Hubby said it was good and finished up the whole thigh and drank the gravy too. I only tasted a piece. Will incorporate this more in my menu from now on. 

7 comments:

mun said...

Sounds so tasty! Thanks for the recipe. I like to braise a whole pot of meat and eat for a week last time when I was cooking.

Anonymous said...

Drooling! But I would prefer duck...and stew eggs in the gravy too!!! Yummmmm!!!!! Pork's good too...this way.

Sharon D. said...

Aah ...this is such a tasty dish, Rose! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. Much appreciated. You know how I love home cooking! ^.^

wenn said...

looks yummy..

Nancy Chan said...

Sounds and looks good! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am going to try it out but first I must go get some chicken thigh and galangal.

ChrisAu said...

Woah .. Looks yummy! I don't eat ducks but chickens anytime for me!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Looks good...