Friday, October 2, 2015

Handful of Muffins

We have a fun time at home experimenting with muffins baking in the kitchen over the school holiday. First, we made a basic butter muffin. Then, I tried Milo muffins and this time, I steamed them.


They turned out great! Soft and moist. I couldn't be any happier. The Milo muffins still soft even when they cooled down, unlike the baked butter muffins.

Steamed Milo Muffins (made 5 muffins)
3 tbsp Milo
3 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 eggs
Chocolate chips for sprinkle

Methods:
1. In a bowl, mix Milo powder, flour, baking powder and sugar together.
2. In another bowl, break 2 eggs in and stir them well. Add the egg mixture into the dry mixture.
3. Mix well till the mixture has thicken and no bubbles are formed.
4. Pour into muffin tray. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Steam in high heat for 15 minutes.
5. Cool down and take the muffins out from the tray.

The little baker in my house wanted to bake again so for our 3rd experiment, it was going to be a savoury muffin.

However my cheesy bacon muffins did not turned out as I wanted it to be. Edible but it was rather plain-looking. Maybe I should use cheddar cheese instead of parmesan. Don't you think it look like the Chinese pau?? ^^


Cheesy bacon muffins (made 8 muffins)
100ml milk
2 cups self-raising flour
1 egg
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried nutmeg
1 bacon slice, chopped finely
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan powder
Handful of grated mozzarella cheese
Melted butter

Methods:
1. Mix egg and milk in a bowl. Put all dry ingredients in another bowl and mix.
2. Add egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Gently fold the mixture. It is supposed to be lumpy.
3. Grease the muffin tin. Spoon the mixture into the tin.
4. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes. Allow to cool before remove from the tin.

That's it. Our school holiday baking activities. Will be putting the baking apron away for now. I think everyone has a handful of muffins over the holiday.


10 comments:

Small Kucing said...

Cheesey muffins ...should be great

Yannie said...

The Milo muffins look so fluffy and nice. I like the recipe, because it is less fattening, only 1 tbsp of brown sugar and no added oil at all.

Princess Ribbon said...

The Milo muffins look good.. No oil used? Good wor.. I also like to staem muffins lastime, but now no more, malas already, hehe..

Nancy Chan said...

Looks like its a fun filled holidays experimenting and hands on learning for you kiddies, learning from mama how to bake. Great way of quality interacting with family members.

Sharon D. said...

Those milo muffins look really delicious, Rose. I bet the cheesy muffins turned out good too. Not all yummy food looks great. As long as it's edible, I find that good enough! ^.^

Ezvina said...

Thanks for sharing. I love simple recipes.

mun said...

Looks like paos all right but since it is tasty, good enough lah.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I have not tried baking with Milo...

Huai Bin said...

Cool! That's Australian Milo right?

I remember the red packaging is the one with Extra Malt. That's the best Milo ever!!!!!!!11111111 :)

It also melts properly in cold milk.

Strangely, New Zealand and Australia Milo is different - they both taste different and similarly local Milo also tastes different.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I missed this one! Cheese and bacon steamed muffins? Now, that is interesting. I guess it is savoury not sweet then? I sure would like that! Something like steamed bak koi perhaps?