Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Your best companion?

With an increasing rate of house break-in and robbery there is a need to take necessary precaution measures to protect your house, valuables and even yourself.

A friend of mine is going to move into a new home soon. As most of the time the house would be empty during the day time and her alone at night as hubby is operating a shop and would be home very late after closing, she told me that she plans to get a dog. A German shepherd to act as her companion and home watcher.

Having a dog sounds good as it can help to look after your house. But a dog is a big responsibility as you need to take care of it well. They need to be feed, bathe, bring out for a walk and trained to be obedient.

The best dog trainer I knew all my life is my mum. She is simply good with dogs. All dogs under her care are obedient and listen to her instructions only. We have reared Rottweilers, Shih Tzu, Dalmatian, Golden Retriever, and other local breed dogs. Rottweilers are very fierce and pretty hard to train. Our Rottweilers only listen to my mum, no one dare to touch or feed them. The easiest to train is Shih Tzu. They learn tricks and listen to instructions fast. Like other dogs, Shih Tzu is easily jealous of other dogs and crave for attention.

I never have the patience to train dogs. I enjoy petting them but if you ask me to keep one, a definitely No-No. It is such a big responsibility to handle one. I prefer to go back to my mum’s place and play and pet them for a while then pass back to my mum. *wink* Hubby reared dogs before. Twice. One was a Rottweiler, and another was mixed breed of Dalmatian and Doberman. He used to go to the cage and talked his dog in the evening, bathe and feed them. One went missing as it got loose from its cage and ran out from the house, and another died of disease. Since then, he told me he will not get any dogs as he grew tired and sad to lose them. As for the cage, it is now become a storage space to keep garden and house tools.

4 comments:

Zooropa said...

Oh interesting for the mixed breed of Dalmation & Doberman, how does the dog looks like in terms of colour? The black spots still visible?...

Dora:)

Hazel said...

i don't have any pet at home.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Taking care of a dog these days is like taking care of a baby la ... I've been wanting to get a dog for ages but am a little worried of the responsibility to care for it ...

Rose world said...

Dora, the dog is totally black in colour, but has the shape of Dalmation (thin and tall)


Hazel, if I were you, I also choose not to have any pet! It is big responsibility.

Nick, yes it is like taking care of a baby. Especially expensive breed, they need to have better food and go for vaccine etc. Troublesome right??