Friday, June 7, 2013

Whipped up a Bovril dish for the picky eaters

Do you like the taste of Bovril in your porridge??  I think I can count my fingers on how many times I tasted Bovril while I were growing up.  I don't really like the overwhelming taste of Bovril actually.  Some more Bovril is pretty pricey. 


Hubby is the opposite of me, he enjoys Bovril as he grows up with it.  Last week he bought a bottle of Bovril sauce from the supermarket and ask me to cook some porridge with it for the kids.  But my kids have come out of an age where they do not fancy porridge no matter how yummy I cook it.  *wink* 
So I come out with an idea of Bovril chicken strips so they can enjoy the nutritious Bovril the other way.  I have 2 servings; one is deep-fried Bovril Chicken Strips and another is Bovril Chicken with sauce. 

I used ground nut oil for this recipe since I have a half bottle left in the kitchen. 

Interested to try some Bovril Chicken strips?  Very easy to cook I assure you.


Ingredients:

2 strips of chicken breast (around 250g), cut into strips
1 medium onion, cut into strips
Ground nut oil for deep frying
Water

Marinade (for 60 minutes): 1 tsp Bovril; 1 tsp dark soy sauce; 1/2 tsp sugar; 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch;
1 tsp sesame oil; white pepper

Sauce: 1 tsp Bovril; 1 tbsp. sugar; 1 1/2 tsp tomato sauce; 1 tsp rice wine; 4 tbsp. water


Methods:

1. Heat up some ground nut oil in a wok.  Flour chicken strips with corn starch and deep fry in small batches till light brown; about 1 minute per batch.  Place on kitchen towel.  (I dished up few strips for the kids and they enjoy biting them)
2. Add 2 - 3 tbsp. ground nut oil in wok to stir fry the onion till transparent.  Add sauce and let it thicken before add the chicken strips.  Coat them with sauce. 
3. Add some water for some gravy.  Dish out and serve.


8 comments:

yvonne said...

This dish looks yummy. I don't like bovril. I prefer marmite. Maybe I can change the recipe to using marmite, hehe.

Sharon D. said...

Mmm..mmm..delicious! My kind of food ^.^

Hayley said...

I love Bovril!

Am wondering is it suitable for toddlers? Heard there's beef stock inside?

suituapui said...

Looks really good.

Bovril these days, no more beef lah, Hayley. I would want to buy the ones with beef!

Rose world said...

Bovril is now vegetarian. suitable for toodlers.

Blackswan said...

Thks for bringing back my childhood memories! I've almost forgotten about this nutritious "syrup" where I used to make my drink.

mun said...

Long time I did not have bovril and marmite but I like both of them when I was young. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I am a huge fan of Bovril and Marmite. I can even use it to spread on crackers and munch it, taste superb!

Yeap, I have tried recipe of Bovril with chicken, yummilicious!