Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Good ol' Batu Kawa noodle

It was a Saturday morning when we went to Batu Kawa old town for breakfast. I know, it is not our usual breakfast spot and it is the other way out of the city. It is totally out of the way! We hardly come here!  But there was a reason that morning to drop by so we thought of having breakfast there before proceed with our intention.

The Batu Kawa kolo mee with meatballs is on the right side (blue roof)

This is the famous Batu Kawa Hakka kolo mee with meatballs which is right next to the roundabout of the old settlement. It is believed that the 1st Hakka immigrants came and settled in this old town many many years ago.

The famous kolo mee stall used to operate in the community hall (red roof) before they built a smaller roadside stall right next to it (blue roof).


The Hakka operators were friendly and ready to serve you.  The place was very fast filled up within a minute and luckily we were early that morning so we would not need to wait that long.


Ooohh. I spotted these old crates of bottled flavoured drinks. Green is banana flavour while the red one is cherries. No, none of us ordered them.


Here was my bowl of kolo mee. If you are wondering what Hakka kolo mee should be, it is usually just minced meat and lots of spring onion on top of the noodle. Of course like any other food, they evolved and changed to fit the local taste and time.


Meat balls and char siew were added in for added taste. I like this old school kolo mee. And we did ordered a bowl of meatballs soup to go with our noodles.


We didn't really need this chilli vinegar dipping for the meatballs but it was nice and taste good.



And my day must started off with a glass of teh c peng. I was expected the original teh c peng but it came like this. With the gula apong. Like those 3-coloured teh c peng. The gula apong was too sweet to my liking.


11 comments:

Imemily said...

the last cold drink is what I need almost every day
it is quite hot now

PH said...

That looks like a very good and fulfilling breakfast to me!

suituapui said...

Come to think of it, I have never ventured into the Batu Kawa area - gotta get you to take me around some day.

Nancy Chan said...

A great breakfast to start a brand new day. I think tomorrow I want to eat Hakka kolo mee...its been a long time since I last ate. I wonder if Ipoh's hakka kolo mee is similar to yours.

Ezvina said...

We went there few years back. I dont really like meat balls, i prefer fresh meat :). So we never came back. But maybe its time to go again, the kids would love it.

Libby said...

I think the Kolo Mee is like our Ba Cho Mee

Somewhere in Singapore said...

There's a stall here that's sell Kolo Mee which i like, didn't go there eat for quite sometimes, must go there eat one of the day...

Reanaclaire said...

Oh oh, now I am missing the kolo mee in JB... Have to make do with our wanton noodles here in Ipoh... not sure where to get kolo mee, must ask Nancy about this!

Merryn said...

Wow, you went somewhere out of the way. I am such a boring person that I usually eat around my area only. Rarely do we venture somewhere far for example Cheras. People living in West Malaysia, if we are living in PJ, we won't drive all the way to Cheras just to makan. For us PJ folks, Cheras is like somewhere far, far away eventhough it is only 45 minutes away :D

mun said...

Yes, since already around that area, should go and try the food there because do not always go to that area.

Sharon D. said...

The bottle flavoured drinks remind me of my childhood days, Rose. It's the kind we served to friends during Chinese New Year.