Sunday, August 28, 2016

Different taste @ Lil' Baba

Hubby promised to give me a well-deserved birthday treat after I've recovered from my illness. True to his words, yesterday he brought me and kids to Lil' Baba in Emart Batu Kawa. Exam was over so it was a little treat for the kids as well for their hard work and results.



Lil' Baba is on 3rd floor of Emart where you may need to either use the elevator on the 1st floor (facing rooftop carpark just before entering the departmental store) or walking up using the staircase. The Peranakan cuisine restaurant is above Megalanes bowling alley.


I really love the decor and set up of the place. And my favourite color of the wall paint! Chic and classy.






Initially we planned to dine in The Farm Bistro, that serves Western cuisine but they did not open till noon yesterday. So we adjourned to next door, Lil' Baba for a different taste of cuisine. Something that we seldom have. A Peranakan kitchen. A taste of Baba Nyonya food.


I got to admit that their serving was nothing but big!! I was surprised (and delighted at the same time) to be served with a very tall glass of fresh orange juice to quench my thirst.

We did not wait that long for our food to arrive. As the kids could not take spicy food, we ordered something milder so everyone can eat and enjoy. 

First to be served was this Lil' Baba fried noodle. Not spicy at all and my kids enjoyed it very much.


Few slices of squid, chicken and prawns, and shredded omelette served with the perfectly fried noodle. Accompanied by small crackers and a spiced fried chicken wing.


Then we had this Yong Chow fried rice (above). Just like the fried noodle, the fried rice was served with spiced fried chicken wing and crackers. I am not a big fan of those crackers but my kids could not stop feeding on them!


This is an interesting dish that we had never try before. Nasi Lemak Pelangi Ayam Berempah. Literally means Nasi Lemak rainbow with spiced chicken.


To me, it was like coloured rice with nasi lemak condiments and a piece of ayam penyet. The rice has a hint of herbs; I could not detect the "lemak" in it. The anchovies were crispy and sambal was spicy. The spiced chicken? Not bad. Overall, a worthy dish to order. Big portion for one person.

And to Emart membership card members, don't forget to show your card to enjoy 10% discount off your bills. Now I have another place to wave my card at. *wink*


After our lunch we went to play a game of pool and bowling. Everyone has a good time on Saturday in Megalanes before we headed home for an afternoon nap.




13 comments:

suituapui said...

KIV this place, I live nyonya!

Anonymous said...

*love*

Sherry Go Sharing said...

everything looks nice, now I want my dinner :D

Ezvina said...

Nice, another new place in town.

mun said...

The nasi lemak rainbow looks so playful with its colour. If all the colours are natural then I would order it.

PH said...

That kerosene lamp sure brings back memories from my childhood. We used to use it when there was a blackout.

Nancy Chan said...

I love the decor too and the table lamp. The nasi lemak pelangi looks interesting. I love Nyonya food!

Reanaclaire said...

Good to hear you have recovered... Indeed your husband has brought you to the right place.. Good and appetizing food!!

Merryn said...

Oh, those are Baba food? They sure look different. I've never eaten nasi lemak pelangi. The most I've eaten was Nasi Hujan Panas during Ramadhan that is not a Baba dish.

Kerosene lamp, I've not seen that in ages. Used to use that in my grandma's house last time. So dangerous can burn the entire house down :D

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I can't resist crackers, i will finish it in no time, hehe...

Anonymous said...

Never knew this place existed. hehe. Great!

Yee Ling said...

Ohh..the rice surely looks colorful!

Sharon D. said...

I am loving the ambiance. The rainbow rice looks pretty yummy!