Monday, September 3, 2018

Weekend In Sibu

We spent our last weekend in Sibu. We drove all the way there on 31/8. It was actually decided less than 2 weeks ago that we would be spending a weekend there.

Hubby had a class reunion dinner in Island Club on the 31/8, and since it was a 3-days weekend, we took the opportunity to be back for a short holiday.


Since we moved back to Kuching in 2014, this was the first time that we really stayed in this town for a couple of days. And a quick time to visit my hubby's side of family.


The kids' first meeting with their cousin (1+ yo). My sister-in-law's baby girl. And my MIL also came over from Kapit and had a one night stay with us.


We started our drive at 6am after a quick breakfast in McD's. Once we reached Sibu around 1pm, we went to this restaurant for  local and one-of-the-kind lunch.


We were served with crackers before our dishes arrived on our table.

We had its signature deep-fried lokan that was stuffed with meats.


Tasty and sweet but somehow it tasted sweeter than before. Anyway it was more  of a sweet rather than savoury dish.


The paku lemak was good like I remembered it to be; spicy and tasty. Ate a lot of it with my rice.


We loved its fish umai, so fresh, tasty, spicy, sour, with onion and everything.

Last was its grilled lamb. Somehow it wasn't as nice as I could remembered. The lamb was alright, not that tough or dry. However the dipping sauce wasn't right. I used to love its mint sauce. This time, the sauce was too sweet. No mint hint in it. Maybe they changed the recipe of the dressing, I wasn't sure.



Overall our lunch plus drink was RM130. With full tummies, we headed to my sil's house for an afternoon nap and settled in before picking up my mil from the wharf and dinner afterward.

20 comments:

Blackswan said...

Paku Lemak is new to me. Looks interesting! xoxo

Diana Diane Teo said...

I try to recall back when was the last time I went Sibu. Oh my! It's like more than 10 years ago. Looks like I need to plan another trip to Sibu since I have some good friends there.

Diana Diane Teo said...

By the way Rose, do you like to collect postcard or magnets? Do let me know.

Rose world said...

Hi Diana, I do like fridge magnets. Collect them as memories of places that I have been to or souvenirs from friends. ^^

suituapui said...

The mint sauce was all right the last time I went and the lokan too...but no, I would not be dropping by much - parking is such a pain and it is by no means cheap - their knives are very sharp. LOL!!!

Reanaclaire said...

When mention Sibu, I think of Payung! :)

mun said...

A quick trip to Sibu to meet family so I guess you didn't meet up with STP?

Rose world said...

No. No time to meet up with him. Time too rush.

Ann said...

Looks like an amazing place.
And your food pics
always manages to make me
crave for food :)

Ann
https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

Nancy Chan said...

Stuffed lokan is new to me. The grilled lamb looks good!

Ezvina said...

Aiyo all looks good and delicious, I never try fried lokam, must look for it.

Libby said...

Lokan and Puku Lemak are new to me, never seen, heard or eaten them before

Libby said...

I google for Lokan, so Lokan is seashell

Twilight Man said...

There is so much to eat in Sibu. A very relaxing town.

Nux V said...

looks like a family reunion in Sibu, nice town & great food!

lina said...

What a nice trip!

Sharon D. said...

Those crackers are hard to find in KL. I get mine from relatives who fly here ;P

Delicious choice of food, Rose. Argh... you got me salivating like mad.

Merryn said...

Sweet mint sauce? Sounds a bit strange isn't it? Seems like suddenly a couple of their dishes goes sweeter.

Merryn said...

Sweet mint sauce? Sounds a bit strange isn't it? Seems like suddenly a couple of their dishes goes sweeter.

Imemily said...

lokan stuffed with meat is exotic to me
but I would like to try one day later