Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Somewhere near

After our river cruise, we walked to the Carpenter Street for our car. Since our car was parked somewhere near Lau Ya Keng, we decided to settle our dinner there.

Hubby commented on the nice and authentic pork leg rice (or some call it braised mix rice) that he liked from Lau Ya Keng, so we had that for dinner. Not our typical dinner as usually I cook Sunday dinner or we go for street food or chu char. Pork leg rice for Sunday dinner? Hardly on our mind.

It has been ages since I came to Lau Ya Keng at night. Used to come here as a child for porridge. But that was long time ago. Things change, people change.

But like before, the place was packed! Used to have few stalls opened in the past to cater to night diners but now only the braised rice stall opened.

After ordered directly from the stall, we collected a number tag and patiently waited for our food. About 30 minutes later, our big plate of braised meats and assortment came! That portion was for 5 persons!


Lean meats, pork belly, pig's ears, blood cubes, taufu were some on the plate. We had option of porridge or rice but we went for the latter. 

Pork leg rice always accompanied by braised soup and chilli dipping.


I loved its chilli dipping. They definitely very generous with the dipping and soup as you could ask for refilling.


It has been a while since I had pork leg rice, and some more at night!  This definitely is one of the best in Kuching. Not the friendliest and fastest service around but it is what to expect from a typical Chinese shop. Now I understand why people willing to wait so long for it. Of course, not when your tummy is rumbling. Lol.

11 comments:

suituapui said...

Lucky you! I have always wanted to go there - loved going there way back in the 70's but I can never find a place to park close by and walk is one word that does not exist in my vocabulary. LOL!!!

mun said...

30 minutes wait is not that long. That braise platter of meat and food is so tasty. the ears should be crunchy I guess.

The Yum List said...

I wonder if they made the chilling dipping sauce themselves?

Nancy Chan said...

I would be ordering porridge to go with the braised pork leg and tofu.

PH said...

I like! Especially pig ears, yum! yum! Not too sure about the pig blood though. hah..hah...

Twilight Man said...

The whole plate is so big and delicious looking. I am drooling and salivating now.
They say good things don't come so cheap and easy, hence the long wait.

Blackswan said...

Interestingly, I kinda like pig's skin. SG stall owners used to have pig's blood & ears, but somehow they're not found anywhere since decades ago.......

Merryn said...

I'll dig into the pig's ear first. Haha. Love that!

Merryn said...

I'll dig into the pig's ear first. Haha. Love that!

Libby said...

No thanks to pig's ears, but I used to eat pig's blood, they have that in Yong Tau Foo's stalls, but long time never see pig's blood in SG food stalls already, is it true eat pig's blood can clear (purify) your blood?

Sharon D. said...

Gahhh... such a yummy meal! I'm crazy about pork. I could go for seconds.