Friday, July 13, 2018

Couple of days

It was the first day of the month. We went to our Sunday mass as usual.


Right before it started, my dad called me to ask us to collect kacangma later. So after we were done, we went over to collect our share.

My sil's confinement kacangma was nothing but wine, motherwort herb and ginger. Loved it so much that not a single drop of its bitter soup gone wasted!

Kacangma or motherwort chicken

We, Hakka would cook and give out kacangma and few red-dyed eggs to families, relatives and close friends after the baby's full moon. Right at the end of the one-month confinement period.

However, my sil did her give out few days early so my parents and brother could personally delivered them on Sunday. They weren't at home while we were there, so I helped myself to a big container of kacangma. We had it for dinner that evening and the next day. ^^

A couple of days later, together with my dad, we went to TM to apply internet line for the office. We were early so the queue was short and we were done with the application in no time.

Dad wanted to get medicine in Tabuan Jaya so we drove all the way there, and after that we dropped by the house to visit my mum. Dad asked us to go for brunch in Ah Yen Cafe in Wan Alwi road.

In the past, I usually had noodle from the kolo mee stall but I spotted a curry noodle stall there. Dad said the curry was good and he enjoyed it. So, I ordered a bowl to try.


RM6 per bowl. Amazingly, the curry broth was nice and spicy. More like Thai curry with a strong taste of lemongrass. I loved its roasted meat the most. So tasty and went well with the yellow noodle and curry. I think this is the best curry noodle that I have tasted in Kuching.


I added the lime juice to my curry to reduce the spiciness. I didn't tasted the sambal though as the curry was spicy enough.

11 comments:

Nancy Chan said...

I am trying to imagine the taste of the kacangma dish. That bowl of curry noodle looks delicious!

IreneC said...

When I saw the word "kacangma", i was silly enough to think it had something to do with kacang putih. When i read on, only then did i learn that it's a confinement dish.....yum!

The Yum List said...

Thanks for sharing your family's traditions. It's always fascinating having an insight in other people's customs.

Libby said...

I like the photo of your three kids

mun said...

I love to eat kacangma too. The curry npodles look good with so much ingredients in it.

suituapui said...

Kacang ma! I had that in yesterday's blogpost. My missus cooked that, so very nice. :D

PH said...

The kacang ma must be very delicious. I have not had a chance to taste it yet.

Merryn said...

Ooooh that kacangma dish is so heavenly. That curry noodle reminds you of Thailand already. Haha.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Me wondering how's the taste of kacangma chicken...

Blackswan said...

Mmmm.... I’m not familiar with kacangma. Type of herb? xoxo

Sharon D. said...

Aiyo ..that roasted pork in the curry does it for me. So yummyyy.
Thanks to you, I have gotten a love for kacangma. Which reminds me, I need to cook it again ;P