Friday, May 5, 2017

Same street the next day

When it is a long weekend, we get to go out for food hunting around the city. 

That was what we did few Mondays ago when we were in the Carpenter Street. Yes, again. We went back to the same street the next day when the day before we were in Lau Ya Keng for lunch. This time, we went to the other side of the street for pork leg rice in Juat Siang Cafe (next to the Kuching Hainan Association building). Another well known food joint along the street.


I have been there before but many years ago with my side of family when dad recommended the original and authentic pork leg rice. They serves all the innards beside the pork leg unlike other places where they have duck and chicken meats as choices.

I believed the owner left the operation to his staff now. Very young native staff to handle the pork leg rice cum kueh chap stall that you will see at the side of the shop. There were some tables and seats in between the walkway of this shop and Kuching Hainan Association building.


They served you the soup, white rice and dipping sauce first. Then soon enough, the plate of assortment of meats, innards, hard-boiled egg and beancurds is served.


My personal opinion? It was alright. Milder in taste but I prefer other places that serve nicer pork leg rice in Kuching.


If you are wondering, we had this at around 9am that morning. Yes, very early for such hearty meal but it did last us till late in the afternoon. 

8 comments:

suituapui said...

I dunno this place but there is a very old Chinese restaurant there - used to love their char siew and steamed chicken with rice...and they poured curry gravy all over it. Can't remember the name, Ang Lee of something like that.

mun said...

wah so early the pork leg dish is ready. they must have cooked it really early.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Same here, if I eat at that timing, can also last me till late afternoon...

Nancy Chan said...

We haven't tried pork leg rice for breakfast. But I have taken nasi lemak (rice) and glutinous for breakfast which can be very filling. It will last till my dinner.

Libby said...

I seldom have pork leg rice as I think it is not readily available in SG, or maybe I don't know where are the places that have this

Yannie said...

This is my husband's favorite, but not mine.

Merryn said...

9am for all those? LoL. I am still in dreamland. You people are really early worms :D

Sharon D. said...

I love pork leg rice but have only tried it Thai style so far. Will hunt for this over here. Looks yummy!