Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Sweet

Although CNY has been over for not more than a month, I still have few leftover at home. A couple of snacks, some mandarin oranges. We didn't bought much this year so it was nice not to be burden with many leftovers.

Last weekend I finished up all the new year cake (nian gao). 

I simply fried it with egg. The best combo, in my opinion. The verdict. The cake was tasty, sweet and soft with coated egg. Best to take with tea. 


Ingredients:
Nian gao
1 or 2 eggs depends on the size and number of nian gao used
Pinch of salt or more
Cooking oil for shallow frying

Method:
1. Refrigerate the nian gao in fridge for few hours before taking it out. Slice the cake about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Break an egg and add pinch of salt. Mix well.
3. Dip each sliced nian gao into the egg batter.
4. In a heated pan with oil, add nian gao one by one, do not overcrowd the pan.
5. Fry for about 1 minute on each side of the nian gao before take it out. Place the nian gao on top of kitchen towel to absorb excess oil and ensure outer layer stay crispy.


Other recipe : Nian gao wrapped popiah and fried nian gao


8 comments:

mun said...

I have never eaten deep fried nian gao coated just with eggs before but I believe I will like it too though prefers those with yam and sweet potatoes so that won't be just the sweetness of nian gou which may be too sweet for me.

suituapui said...

Not a fan of nian gao but if fried with egg like that, I do not mind a piece or two.

suituapui said...

I baked it once wrapped in popiah skin. Very nice!
https://suituapui.wordpress.com/2015/03/06/inside-outside/
Maybe it would be nice deep-fried too.

Nux V said...

now is the time to clear off the nian gao from CNY! I usually had it deep fried with sweet potato/yam.

PH said...

My grandma used to do it like this too.

Nancy Chan said...

I like nian gao fried with yam and sweet potatoes if available. I also like nian gao fried with eggs. I still have one small nian gao given by a friend, maybe I will fry it with egg.

Merryn said...

I love nian gao. This is the first time I see nian gao fried with egg. It looks simple enough to try doing it at home. But too bad I dont have any nian gao.

Libby said...

Wow! I want to have some of your nian gao.