Monday, March 11, 2019

He's cooking

My man rarely go into the kitchen and when he does, he will usually impress me with something new. I mean, other than my kitchen in a mess, he comes up with new dish that I have never cook before. Isn't it fabulous to have someone to cook for you sometime? I don't mind doing the washing though. 


On one Saturday, he "borrowed" the kitchen and whipped up this pork belly dish. I called it "3-ways pork belly" because you need 3 different ways to cook it.

A tedious recipe but you would be wowed by its flavour.  

Ingredients:
Slab of pork belly, cut into cubes
2 cans of beer
A thumb sized ginger, sliced
3 dried chillis, sliced and disposed of the seeds
Shaoxing wine
Dark soy sauce
Oyster sauce
Black pepper
Salt
Rock sugar
2 star anise
Water to boil
Cooking oil for frying

Methods:
1. Boil a pot of water. When the water is boil, add in the pork belly. Add few slices of ginger and some Shaoxing wine. Let the meat cook for 5 minutes before drain out. 
2. In a wok, heat up some oil to pan fry the pork belly. Fry till both sides are golden brown, do not over dry the meat. 
3. Leave some oil in the wok. Saute the remaining of ginger slices and dried chilli till fragrant. 
4. Add Shaoxing wine, star anise, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, black pepper, salt and about 5 small lumps of rock sugar. Saute for few minutes before add in the beers. 
5. Slowly add in the pork belly. Cover the wok and let it simmer at low heat for at least an hour. 
6. Take out the pork belly from the wok. The remaining gravy in the wok cooked till reduce. Pour all over the meat and serve warm. 

7 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

Wow.. so nice and pampered! Nicer if he can cook every day! hahahaha..

PH said...

Wah your hubby can cook! This dish must be very fragrant and delicious - got two cans of beer! LOL!

mun said...

The pork belly must be melt in the mouth good.

suituapui said...

I'm the opposite - the kitchen is always neat and clean when I cook. When my missus cooks, it will look like a typhoon swept through it. LOL!!! And I will never cook anything the needs so much effort - I'm so lazy.

The Yum List said...

Hubby and I have very different cooking / cleaning styles - so our rule is that whoever cooks also cleans. ;-)

Libby said...

It is usually my mom who cooks, but when my late dad cooks, he impresses us with his cooking.

When my mom cooks, the kitchen is in a mess, but my dad is neater.

Merryn said...

Wow! John is so patient to cook this delicious dish. Such a lucky lady you are (although this only happens once in a while, haha). I am salivating looking at the pork.