Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Kailan stem, shimeji and sea cucumber

It is that time of the year where you could see vendors selling the big kailan stem. I love this vegetable. You don't get it the whole year so when you see them, grab and cook them. *wink*

Kailan stems

Usually I would just stir fry it with garlic and salt or for more fragrance, I stir fry it with dried prawns and oyster sauce.

However, in my recent kitchen experience, I used different ingredients with the vegetable and it was delicious. And my new recipe was created. Kailan stem, shimeji and sea cucumber stir fry.


Ingredients:

Shimeji mushroom

2 kailan stems, peeled skin and sliced diagonally
Shimeji mushrooms, soaked, rinsed and sliced

Sliced chicken breast, added some cornstarch to the meat
2 Sea cucumbers, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp wolfberries
1 tbsp oyster sauce
Salt to taste
Some water
Cornstarch with 3 - 4 tbsp water
Cooking oil

Methods:
1. In a wok, heat up some cooking oil. Toss and saute garlic till fragrant. Then add in the chicken. Cook till meat turn white.
2. Add in the sea cucumber. Saute for a while before add in the kailan stem. Stir fry for a minute before add in the shimeji and some water.
3. When water is simmer, add in the wolfberries, oyster sauce and salt. Stir for a while then add in cornstarch mixture to thicken the gravy.
4. Dish out and garnish with fried shallots. 

Crunchy, flavourful and delicious





14 comments:

Sharon D. said...

Adoi...salivating I! What a yummy dish. Will hunt down these kailan stems one day.

I bought shimeji mushrooms over the weekend and cooked it off in a chicken dish yesterday ..but with pumpkins. Also flavoured with oyster sauce - can never go wrong with this one. It's a magical sauce! ^.^

PH said...

That is so delicious! Looks like a very suitable dish to serve for CNY :)

mun said...

i agree with ph that this dish is so delicious! i like to eat mushrooms and veges.

suituapui said...

Wahhhhhhhh!!! Sea cucumber! So expensive. :D

Small Kucing said...

I like this too.especially the stem.

Sprinkle a bit of almond slice on yop also nice

Nancy Chan said...

Great idea. I love kailan stems too! Love the crunchiness!

Reanaclaire said...

I am salivating too!! Sea cucumber... wow... reminded me.. I must get some of those for CNY! :)

Unknown said...

lovely mix. all welcome in my tummy :P

Unknown said...

I love Kailan stem, so crunchy isn't it?

Unknown said...

Simple dish is always the best.

Ezvina said...

Nice. I would add in some carrot too.

Blackswan said...

Awesome round-up of food shots, dear! So healthy. xoxo

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I will loves this dish...

Green Thumb said...

It's mouth watering.