I seldom cook squids at home. One reason is the cleaning part. Not my fondest thing to do if you ask me. So when I could get some fresh and cleaned squids, I would not hesitate to grab them.
It was so that we had a steamboat lunch on 3rd day of CNY and we had some leftover squids after that. So last weekend, I decided to give this simple recipe a try.
I love salt & pepper squid and sometimes I would order this dish when dine out. Who doesn't love this savoury delicious bite, right??
300g Squids, cleaned and cut horizontally
85g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp shao xing oil
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp white pepper
Some spring onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
1. Marinate the squids with sesame oil and shao xing. Toss gently and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix the plain flour, cornflour, white pepper and salt together.
3. Coat the squid with the mixture. In heated pan, slowly fry the squid in batches 2 minutes on each side or till crisp.
4. Drain the squids on kitchen towels.
5. Drain the oil from pan and leave about 1 tbsp oil. Add in minced garlic and fry till golden.
6. Arrange the squids in a serving plate. Toss the fried garlic on top. Garnish with spring onions.
Hope you like this. I am going to cook this again and hope to get the perfect salt & pepper squids recipe. ^^