Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Board games

I am blessed that I have my family to look after the kids when we are handful at the shop once a while. Sometimes I get my dad to pick up the kids from baby sitter's house if I am not free in the evening to do so. How would I cope without my family?

Yesterday my sister bought some board games to entertain the kids at home. I was surprised that she went to get those aeroplane game and snake & ladder game boards. Well, we played those game boards when we were small, so it would be good to teach this new generation on what we played as a child, her reasoning. I like her idea!

I am sure most of you played more than one board games when you were kids. It was past time activity besides tv watching.

Now you see, kids nowadays seldom exposed to real board games and mostly play computer and online games. Correct me if I were wrong. My kids are more high-tech than me. My girl will able to browse through the Yahoo! games and find the games that she wants to play! At her age, I did not have computers and we mostly played pretending games (such as cooking, teacher and students etc) and board games. I remember as a kid, me and siblings had a set of few board games such as monopoly, chess, Chinese chess, aeroplane games, S&L and more. It was fun!

My girl was full of questions when I told her yesterday morning that her aunt bought some game boards for her to play in the evening. Why we go down when touch the snake head? How we move up the ladder etc? I think she was thinking that the pieces will move up and down by themselves! Lol!

So hopefully my children would not lose out on those excitement and fun. And thanks sis for introducing our childhood games to my children! My girl has been nagging me to bring her to grandparents' house today to continue the games! *wink*

9 comments:

Yannie said...

I do have a few board games at home. My girls always bug me to play with them. I still very much restrict their computer access at this moment.

Unknown said...

I also restrict my son from using the computer too...board game my son still small...later i'll introduce to him especially monopoly.

Libby said...

I remembered when I was a kid, I simply love to play monopoly and pretnding game such as pretending to be a chef, waitress, librarian, teacher, student, etc, it was so much fun then, really missed those childhood games. Nowadays kids are so as creative anymore as they only know how to play computer online games, it's good to expose them to some boardgames and pretending games, more real life.

Libby said...

*pretending
*Nowadays kids are not so creative anymore

Kristie said...

Yeah family support is extremely important!

wenn said...

that definitely keeps her occupied.

suituapui said...

Ya...they're a thing of the past now. Most people would be more into online games...no matter how small they may be - many would have started...with their own iPad! Gosh! They're so spoilt rotten, aren't they?

mNhL said...

Ahh...i love those boardgames too. Last week, just bought them monopoly boardgame. Have not open yet. Wait till have the time only play with them. So fun. I remembered playing board games with my brother and father.

Unknown said...

“…it would be good to teach this new generation on what we played as a child…” – This made me smile because I totally relate :) …only I was the one being taught. My dad used to play with me and my siblings an old Chinese board game. It was the Chinese Checkers. You familiar? We enjoy it a lot; I’m sure your kids will too. At least, even with the differences in your generations, something fun let you meet somewhere in the middle. :D

Esmeralda Tabarez