Monday, January 6, 2020

Shanghai | hot pot with different dining experience



For our final meal in Shanghai, we went to this well known hot pot restaurant for a warm meal with unique treatment and different dining experience. 


Hai Di Lao. It has many outlets all over Shanghai but we went to the one on 6th floor of a shopping mall. I don't remember the name of the mall now.

Once the lift to the restaurant opened up, we were warmingly greeted by friendly and smiling well-dressed staff at the lobby before being ushered to our tables.


We were served with warm face towel to wipe ourselves before another staff brought over the hot pot. One side was spicy Szechuan soup while another was mild mushroom based soup.


We were given aprons to wear (if you want to), they even has smaller sized aprons for children. For ladies, they would provide hair bands if you need to tie up your hair.

Soon the staff went to our table to serve us. They helped us to cook or inform us on the duration to wait for the food to be cooked.




I wasn't feeling well that day so hubby went to make me this beef porridge. So sweet of him.

For kids, they served this fried nuggets to them.

Not only that, they also gave out free toys to little kids. My boys got this car while girl got a doll.

More and more ingredients added to the hot pot.

And you could mix and match your own dipping sauce. This was made by my man.


They even served dessert like this mochi balls. I took one, not liking it. Lol.


I heard customers could get free manicure if they asked. I didn't. Should have but I wasn't well so no mood for any pampering that evening.

Our tour guide also mentioned that customers going to the restaurant would never dine alone. There was once when he went to eat by himself, a lady staff came and comfort him. Talking and making sure he had a good meal.

While we were there, we were treated to noodle making. A very young man would walk around the restaurant and do some noodle swinging on any tables that requested for handmade noodle.

And at one point, I spotted someone doing the face changing act. A short act to entertain the customers especially the foreigners.

A customer on one table was celebrating his birthday. And suddenly some of the Hai Di Lao staff went to that table, started to sing and cheer for the birthday person. That was very heart warming.

I had few glasses of this plum juice. Very refreshing although sweeter to my liking. But it went well after all the food consumption.

Did I enjoy this rather unusual dining experience?? Yes, it was kind of interesting and same time, rather good to be treated like a customer. As for the food, it was so so to me. Not many fresh ingredients, more processed food. We did not finished the whole course as we were full by then.

If you are curious, there are few Hai Di Lao chain outlets in Malaysia. Can give it a try for that exceptional and unique customer service experience.

8 comments:

suituapui said...

Not into those different types of broth at these hotpot places. I'd prefer our regular steamboat with the clear soup. Your beef porridge looks nice!

Nux V said...

Haidilao seems popular in KL too. But I m still afraid to go there after seeing some 'accidents' of people got smacked by the noodles during the performance (not in Malaysia) and various mishaps...So I tink I would avoid crowded hotpot place for the time being.

Iwona said...

Delicious food :)

Nancy Chan said...

I don't know if there is a branch in Ipoh. I prefer to enjoy my hot pot meals in quiet places.

Diana Diane Teo said...

I tried Hai Di Lao before in China too. The experience of dining there is where we were served like king and queen. We're really enjoyed it but to think of the price, maybe we will not going back so sooner. I love the tomato soup.

By the way, Rose do you mind send me your mailing address and telephone number to my email dtgotravel@gmail.com? I have small token for you

Libby said...

Hai di lao is very popular and successful in sg. I still have not tried it yet.

PH said...

I have heard about this Hai Di Lao. Apparently very popular but I have yet to try. Based on what you had, it might be something that I could enjoy.

mun said...

I recently tried the branch at Pavilion Elite but didn't order as much food as yours.