Sunday, March 18, 2018

2 steamed recipes

For my own record, I have these two steamed recipes penned here. 

I prepared and cooked them for my Chap Goh Mei dinner, namely steamed yellow chicken and steamed silver pomfrets.

I love steamed dishes nowadays. Maybe more effort needed to prepare and marinate them prior to cooking but they are healthier and less oily.

Hope you would try and enjoy them.

Steamed yellow chicken

I was given half of a while yellow chicken by a neighbour a week before CNY. She had her relative brought in from Sibu.

I didn't use the whole portion as we wouldn't be able to finish it. So I chopped into half. Now I had half of half (quarter). I need to steam the chicken longer as yellow chicken has tougher meat.


Ingredients:
1/4 of one yellow chicken, marinated with 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp shao Xing wine and 1 tbsp light soy sauce

1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced
1 tbsp. green onion, white part only, chopped

Dipping sauce:
1 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tbsp. light soy sauce
4 tbsp. water
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp. chopped green onion
1 tbsp. sesame oil


Method:
1. Lay ginger and green onion over the chicken with marinade and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Place the chicken in the steamer, steam at high heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Chop chicken into biteable size.
4. For dipping sauce ;In a sauce pan, heat up 1 tbsp. sesame oil and stir in garlic and green onion until aromatic. Add in oyster sauce, light soy sauce and water.  Mix well and bring to boil.


Steamed silver pomfrets

I bought 2 silver pomfrets for RM10 on a day before Chap Goh Mei.


Ingredients:
2 silver pomfrets (about 300g), cleaned, pat dry and rub some salt and pepper all over the fishes
Salted mustards, soak and rinse to get rid of some saltiness
Some gingers, sliced
Some garlic cloves, chopped
1 stalk of green onions, chopped
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. shao xing wine
1 tsp light soy sauce

Methods:
1. In a pan, add in some cooking oil. Once heated up, add in the ginger slice and fry till fragrant.
2. Prepare the fishes in the steamer. Add in the fried ginger onto the fishes. Add in all the other ingredients (except green onion) as well.
3. Steam the fishes at high heat for over 15 minutes or till the fishes are cooked. Garnish with green onions on top.

10 comments:

suituapui said...

I think I will steam my Sultan fish today, bought for Chap Goh Meh and did not got round to cooking it...due to unforeseen circumstances. :(

Libby said...

Your steam yellow chicken and steam pomfret look very tasty, I like, especially the chicken. I will like to try your steam chicken recipe one day.

mun said...

Both steamed dishes look good. Thanks for sharing your recipes.

Agnes CF Lee said...

I much prefer to have steamed food then the fried one simply because it is a more healthier.

PH said...

I like steamed food too especially steamed chicken but I am hopeless at chopping chicken.

Ezvina said...

What?! Your fish are so cheap. Where you bought them?

Rose world said...

Kenyalang market.

Twilight Man said...

When the chicken meat is too tough to eat, I would shred them out and make delicious chicken sandwiches! Yums!

Nancy Chan said...

Your quartered chicken looks more like half a chicken! Yummy steamed chicken and fish!

Merryn said...

I love steamed dishes esp steamed fish. I'll attack the eyes first if the fish has huge bulging eyes. Haha.

Thank you for sharing these recipes. They are very kids friendly and I'm sure my boys will love to try them out one day.