Monday, March 16, 2015

Weekend Menu #66: Fish maw soup

I have not been cooking much lately. Not on a weekend! Even if I cook, I will usually whip up simple dishes for myself and kids. Kids-friendly meals I would called them. 

However hubby was home over the weekend so I put on my cooking cap and cooked this soup. One of my favourite soups when growing up and ordered when dine outside. I have been planning to finish up a pack of fish maw during CNY but did not manage to do so. 

I love fish maw. I considered it one of the auspicious dish during CNY. I love it in my clear soup, in mixed vegetable dishes and even in stew. So I whipped up a simple fish maw soup over the weekend. Hope you like this version too.

I used this Chilean abalone from one of the CNY hampers for this dish.

That is how it looks like. Whiter than those from China. My other ingredients as following.


I did not have any measurement for my ingredients; everything "pakai hentam". 

Fish maw, soaked for an hour and then slice to smaller pieces
A handful of fishballs
8 big prawns with shells intact 
Chicken breast meat, sliced
3 Shitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced
1 Chilean abalone, washed, soaked and sliced
3 slices ginger
Pinch of salt and dash of light soy sauce
1/4 tbsp of dark soy sauce (optional)
1 cube of Maggi chicken stock
1 litre water

Method:
1. Add chicken stock into a pot of water and bring to boil. 
2. Add fish maw, abalone and ginger into the pot. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add chicken, mushrooms and dark soy sauce into the pot. Simmer for another 3 minutes before add in prawns and fish balls. Add salt and light soy sauce.
4. Simmer for another 3 minutes before turn off the heat.


12 comments:

Princess Ribbon said...

Wah lots of liew in your soup.. Must be very tasty and flavorful.. I never boil fish maw soup before, usually mil boils it.. I only boil abc soup, white radish soup or old cucumber soup only, hehe..

Small Kucing said...

One of these day i must try out the recipe

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves fish maw, but i do not know how to cook it...

Anonymous said...

I have a can of abalone too - my niece in Singapore gave me. Yet to cook it - maybe we'll have steamboat one of these days. Sometimes we put fish maw too - they say it has health benefits, dunno what.

Ezvina said...

Wah looks great, I must try.

ChrisAu said...

ahh....i love this soup. I will have it when I was in Yong peng, the foochow town of Johor.

ChrisAu said...

ahh....i love this soup. I will have it when I was in Yong peng, the foochow town of Johor.

Merryn said...

I love this soup but have never dished it out myself.

Yee Ling said...

OOhh....I can assure the soup turned out to be rich and sweet with the combination of all the good ingredients.

trishie said...

That looks so delicious and nourishing

mun said...

What a very nourishing soup! You are such a good cook.

Sharon D. said...

Now, this is to die for! I would be asking for seconds... ^.^