Just when you don't know what to cook and eat and are under the weather, porridge or congee is the solution. Porridge or congee does not need much introduction in this part of the world as every Asian know and have their own version of this classic comfort food.
Chicken porridge is probably the most favourite among all and next is pork porridge.
My recipe : Chicken wings porridge
Serve: 3 - 4
Duration of cooking: 2 hours
Generous amount of preserved salted cabbages (tung choy); 6 chicken wings, cut into half; a teaspoon (or more) of sesame oil; pinch of salt; 3 slices of ginger; 1 cup of rice; 4 cups of water; a dash of light soy sauce; a dash of pepper
1. Wash and soak the rice for 30mins (the least) so it will soften. Wash the cut chicken wings.
2. You can marinate your chicken wings with soy sauce, but I did not.
3. Throw the rice, chicken wings, sliced ginger, sesame oil and water into slow cooker. Cook in high temperature. Stir occasionally.
4. Once water is reduced, turn to low temperature. Add salt, soy sauce, pepper and preserved cabbage to taste. Preserved cabbage is already salty, so be careful with adding too much salt.
5. Cook for few more minutes, and stir well. Turn off the slow cooker and serve while it is warm.
6. Enjoy with your condiment!