Saturday, August 1, 2009

Reasoning with a child

I seldom hit or spank my daughter. She may be naughty and rebellious but I tried not to use punishment as a way to discipline her. Children will always be children. Like what her nanny said, a child would not grow up stronger if he or she is not naughty.

Instead of “hitting” or “spanking”, I will resort to “reasoning “with her. For example if she is climbing a tall stool, I will tell her patiently and calmly that she will fall down and hurt herself if she climb that high. If “reasoning” does not work, then I will finally use “shouting” as my last resort. That will eventually put some senses to her! Telling her that her action is unacceptable and mummy is not happy that she did not listen accordingly. *wink* Punishing by hitting or spanking will "scar" a child and discourage them to explore further. Children are explorers; they learn by exploring.

5 comments:

Ching Ching said...

I also don't like to hit my son. But sometimes, really .. no hit no scare.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Getting a kid to listen to reason sometimes is like trying to squeeze water from a rock, which would probably be easier ... LOL!

RaiNboW said...

Haha.. I'm not a parent but i do agree that reasoning will be a better way than spanking. ;)

IMMomsDaughter said...

I don't spank. Shouting does not work either. My kids are immune to my screams and shouts. My current weapon is the cane. Flash it at them, and they'll do as told. Muar ha ha....wonder how long that'll work!!!

pearly said...

hi dear :
As for me I have 4 kids now wat I do to them is let them go for it and learn from the hard way then only explain to them why , I always tell them not to do it..
the next time there will think before there go got it :P