I always want to try cooking this dish since tasted it few years ago. Dabai fried rice.
I loved the taste of our local olive in the fried rice. It gave the rice a different taste and flavour. Not many people cook and sell this over here. The few places I knew have since closed down.
It happened that I had some frozen dabai in the freezer, so being adventurous and bold, I tried cooking dabai fried rice during the MCO.
It was actually very easy recipe with few ingredients only. The star of this dish was this local black olive. I thawed the fruits since they were frozen. Once thawed, they will soften and ready to be eaten.
I peeled off the flesh from its seed. Mine was red flesh. Another colour was yellow flesh.
Then I chopped the flesh further with knife. Tip from an Iban friend was to fry the flesh first. I only knew that after I cooked this so I will try to fry it first before adding to the rice next time.
1 big onion, sliced
Half cup of anchovies
1 cup of dabai flesh
Chopped spring onion
1. Fry dabai flesh with little oil in pan. (optional)
2. Mix rice with some salt.
3. In a wok, heat up about 5 tbsp cooking oil. Saute onion until fragrant and browned. Add in anchovies and fry for a minute.
4. Add in dabai and stir well.
5. Add in rice and stir well to mix.
6. Dish out and garnish with spring onion.