Friday, April 3, 2020

Steamed

What to do when you have a lot of time in hands?? Finding something to do to kill the time and keep us occupied and busy. That's what I do over the long MCO period. 

Over this period, I go online, searching for recipe and learning new stuff. When weather is good, I would trim some of my plants and pull the weeds. Evening time, I spent catching on dramas in bed. 

Other day, I made cakes for afternoon tea. I made this chocolate cake twice during the 2 weeks plus holiday. 


No, it wasn't baked. I used the steaming method for this chocolate cake. And I like it more than baked type. More moist and definitely fail-proof. 

Steamed chocolate cake

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup refined sugar
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 tsp lime juice
Hot water

Method:
1. Sift ingredient 1 - 3 together in a bowl. 
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients into the bowl. Mix well. Add hot water a bit by bit, and stir in one direction until you reach a smooth dark mixture. 
3. Pour into a dusted tin pan. Tab it few times to release any air bubble. 


4. Cover it with aluminium foil.
5. Steam under medium flame for 40 to 50 minutes.  Turn off the heat and ltransfer to wire rack to cool down. 



12 comments:

mun said...

Your steamed chocolate cake looks so very tasty! Yummy!

Diana Diane Teo said...

I didn't eat cake for almost three weeks. And now seeing your homemade steamed cake, oh my oh my, you are making me craving it for more. Somemore it's my all time favourite chocolate cake.

Nancy Chan said...

I feel like trying this steamed chocolate cake but I will have to buy baking soda.

Ezvina said...

I am not good at making cakes, and I don’t want waste my supply in case I burnt my cake. Normally my sisters will bake, and I miss having good cake. Sob sob.

Libby said...

I am never bored at home, got a lot of things to do and keep me occupied, houseworks such as laundry, bloghopping, watching korean drama and eating. Good that you are learning new things during the mco, it is never too late to learn and it is so fruitful.

Libby said...

I love chocolate cake!

suituapui said...

Oh dear! Now I'm craving for...cakes.

PH said...

So nice! Make me feel kike baking again. I also prefer steamed cake as it stays moist. In the oven, if we accidentally over bake, it can become dry.

Natalia said...

Yum, that looks so good and moist!

The Yum List said...

Steamed must make it healthier, right? ;-)

Twilight Man said...

I always buy steamed chocolate cakes from a street hawker near my home. It makes better and moist compared to baked ones. Yours looked good!

The Happy Whisk said...

Steaming, very cool. This is a method that I haven't tried yet. But I got an pressure cooker with the option to steam a bake.